Multiple Optical Outs

Greetings all.

I have a motherboard (Asus Z97-WS) that already has optical out on the rear panel. It also has a spdif/optical out header.
    1) If I get a the spdif/optical out bracket, is it possible I can use both the rear panel optical out as well as the one on the bracket?
    2) If yes, could they output different audio streams?
    3) The same motherboard does not have coaxial out, except through use of the spdif/optical bracket. Even if the optical part of the bracket wouldn't work, would the coaxial?

Example bracket:
    * https://www.amazon.com/SPDIF-Optical...al+out+bracket

Re: Multiple Optical Outs

Quote Originally Posted by nogpu View Post
    Greetings all.

I have a motherboard (Asus Z97-WS) that already has optical out on the rear panel. It also has a spdif/optical out header.
    1) If I get a the spdif/optical out bracket, is it possible I can use both the rear panel optical out as well as the one on the bracket?
    2) If yes, could they output different audio streams?
    3) The same motherboard does not have coaxial out, except through use of the spdif/optical bracket. Even if the optical part of the bracket wouldn't work, would the coaxial?

Example bracket:
    * https://www.amazon.com/SPDIF-Optical...al+out+bracket
    I went ahead and bought the bracket listed. The coaxial out works just fine. Selecting the digital output (non optical) from software redirects the audio to the coaxial port. So the answer to question #3 is: yes.

As far as questions #1 and #2, I don't know. It is producing a light from the optical port, however within the software settings it's not clear what should be chosen. There is of course a digital optical out setting, which works for the builtin rear optical out port, but it does not output through the port on the bracket. There is no other setting in windows sound settings that I can find that lets you redirect it to the optical out on the bracket. I don't know if this means the bracket is partially defective, or it simply won't output audio over optical out on the bracket.

If anyone has additional insight it would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by nogpu View Post
    If anyone has additional insight it would be appreciated.
    Looks like I've got a answer with a little more experimentation - in the UEFI Firmware / BIOS, if you change your SPDIF output type from SPDIF to HDMI, the optical out on the bracket will work. Once your booted back into Windows, select the appropriate HDMI output device in sound settings and run a test. It should be noted that only one of your optical outs appears to be able to be seen at a time, and it doesn't appear on a cursory examination that you can have both devices enabled simultaneously. The good news is that you can have both the coaxial out and at least one of the optical outs enabled at the same time.

you can often use an optical splitter if you want to feed 2 inputs from one output. Does not work in all cases though.

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Tosli...ct_top?ie=UTF8
    Last edited by CMB; Yesterday at 01:40 AM.