Question Crazy.. Crazy issue, Need some serous help on this one.

I've been building computers for over 20 years and I've never seen anything like this.

My friend at work is having an issue with a new system and even his old system (Note: it's an MSI MB running the latest I9, with very high reviews).

Question:
    Every time he plugs in an internal SATA hard drive it fries out almost instantly. He has now burnt out 8 brand new hard drives and is about $700.00 in the hole. Please... Please read on, it's not as simple as a PSU.

• He has replaced his Motherboard
    • He hooked a multimeter to his outlets, voltages seem to stay around 120V
    • He bought a PSU tester and that checks out fine.
    • He has replaced All SATA cables in the system.
    • He has bought a new Gold 1000W EVGA PSU
    • He has disconnected any external components and even took out his Video card and ran the on board.
    • He has built the system outside of the case to see if it was a grounding issue.
      Note: He is using the same case as the switch to turn on and off the power to the PSU.

I don't know what on earth is going on here, but I can't finger this one out.

I've taken all of his new hard drives home and hooked them to my two systems and I can't get any of them to even spin up on my system. What's odd is, he has an internal SSD and an M2 hard drive and neither of these are effected. They are working fine just as his aunts computer in the same home works fine. But as soon as he plugs in any other HD it fries out. He even ordered a new hard drive that I tested at my place first, we put this latest (8th) drive in after he rebuilt and replaced everything and this latest drive also fried out. I thought it was the MB, but he put together his old system and the same thing is happening on that.

What could be frying out these drives? I can't think of anything else to replace.

Advanced Thanks.
    Last edited by Starstreams; 04-12-2019 at 11:07 PM.

Re: Crazy.. Crazy issue, Need some serous help on this one.

Is the power connection to the drive a sata or molex connector....or using a molex to sata adapter? What are you using in common with both systems ?
    in any case check the wiring, i have had in the past a cable that was cross-wired the 5v and 12v switched.

How are you CMB.

It is a SATA connector. These are direct connections, no adapters. The power supply is new and all the SATA connectors are new.
    The only thing in common at this point is the case, and the wall outlet. The wall outlet can't be the issue because I would think other things in the system would burn out. When he plugs new hard drives in, they get very hot and then they burn out.

The cross wire thing makes very good scene, but he bought a tester a few days ago and it checked out ok. And again, this is a new PSU. He tested his old PSU and nothing was wrong, and the new one tested ok as well. But I'm going to have him look into the voltages again because I'm not sure what exactly what information is displayed on his readout, maybe both PSU's have the same issue or maybe one his SATA cable is messed up. But his PSU tester has a SATA cable tester on it and I believe he said that tested ok. I'll see what he says.

By the way, thanks for responding to this, any ideas are great.
    Last edited by Starstreams; 04-12-2019 at 11:08 PM.

Perhaps some problem with the ground wire at outlet and/or ground on chassis.Does hard drive burn up if you don't let the hard drive touch the chassis anywhere...ie leave it outside the chassis with no physical connection to chassis ?
    Is the ground on the outlet good ?
    Last edited by CMB; 04-12-2019 at 04:21 AM.

CMB, I had to edit my two posts above and remove what I said about "the issue only being related to conventional disk HDs". My friend text me today after he read this post and mentioned that the first drive to fail on him was actually and 1TB SSD. As far as the crossed wire being an issue, he ran his old PSU for 5 years without an issue. What are the chances of the new drive also having the same exact issue with burning out SATA drives?

He also informed me that some of these new drives that went bad where hooked up outside of the case. I need him to test the ground on the wall outlet, but wouldn't that fry out the two drives that are working in the system?

Btw, I need to get him to make an account so he can update this topic. This is the most crazy obscure anomaly I've ever run across. It's a nightmare to say the least.
    Last edited by Starstreams; 04-12-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Were you able to get this resolved?