Win 7 fails to boot past a green screen

Was having crashes and graphic glitches when playing a game. Game trouble shooting suggested uninstalling present drivers and then updating video drivers to the most recent. Sounded reasonable.

I dl'd and installed latest AMD drivers for my gpu via the automatic detect function on their website. I also uninstalled the current drivers via device manager.

Device manager shows the uninstall was successful and then, after installing the new drivers, it again shows that the gpu is recognized.

PC will go through POST but hang at a green screen without fully booting. It will start fully in Safe mode. If I uninstall drivers it will fully boot. I tried a slightly older set of drivers from AMD with the same results.
    I have tried System Restore to a point before I deleted the video drivers, no joy.

I'm kind of stumped now.

Re: Win 7 fails to boot past a green screen

Quote Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
    Was having crashes and graphic glitches when playing a game. Game trouble shooting suggested uninstalling present drivers and then updating video drivers to the most recent. Sounded reasonable.

I dl'd and installed latest AMD drivers for my gpu via the automatic detect function on their website. I also uninstalled the current drivers via device manager.

Device manager shows the uninstall was successful and then, after installing the new drivers, it again shows that the gpu is recognized.

PC will go through POST but hang at a green screen without fully booting. It will start fully in Safe mode. If I uninstall drivers it will fully boot. I tried a slightly older set of drivers from AMD with the same results.
    I have tried System Restore to a point before I deleted the video drivers, no joy.

I'm kind of stumped now.
    Try the cleanup tool, then reinstall the previously working drivers.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    Try the cleanup tool, then reinstall the previously working drivers.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601
    I used DDU, now I'll try this AMD one.

How do I find older versions of AMD drivers. The AMD site only has the latest two drivers in their download area for my card.

What card is it ?

AMD ATI Radeon HD 7800 series

Quote Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
    AMD ATI Radeon HD 7800 series
    ok,

Try here

https://www.guru3d.com/files-categor...sta-win-7.html

Wow, nice resource. Thanks for that!

Unfortunately none of the previous editions of the drivers that I've tried will fix the problem. I still get a black screen when attempting to boot up.

That normally means that the graphics card is failing in one form or another. It will work with a generic VGA driver, but fail when a display driver that puts more of a load on the card is installed. Try physically examining the graphics card for bulging or leaking caps, loose or missing caps. Remove the heatsink from the card, clean it up, and install fresh thermal paste making sure to keep the thermal pads in place, or replace them if they are damaged.

Unfortunately it's probably time to replace that card if the above doesn't help as it is an actual hardware issue, not a driver issue.
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

I suspect that is what has happened. I've sent away for all the parts to build a new pc. Time to get with the times

Thanks to all for your answers. I'm sure I'll have more questions.