View Poll Results: Are you in favour of the Death Penalty for murder?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 50.00%
  • No

4 50.00%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

The Death Penalty - are you in favour?

To get this forum started, an old favourite:do you support the Death Penalty? For the moment, let's assume just for murder.

In my case, no. Let's start with the fact that if you still execute people you are in the select company of such countries as Iran, China and Saudi Arabia.

Next, it's not a deterrent, if that's your justification. It never has been. This should be obvious when you think about the types of murder. Most murders are almost spontaneous. They are crimes of "passion" between two people who know each other, probably well. The intention to kill was formed only seconds before the crime took place, so the murderer has no time to think of the penalty. Next up are multiple murderers. Like most people who take their time over murder, they don't think: "if I get get caught I will be executed", they think: "If I do X and Y I won't be caught." You can't deter a person who doesn't think they will be detected. And finally we have fanatics who simply don't care if they are executed - they may even welcome it.

But at the bottom is the moral question: if they state says it wrong to kill, why is it OK for the state to do so? Aren't you just lowering yourself to the level of the murderer?

Re: The Death Penalty - are you in favour?

Yes... Somethings are inexcusable and should be handled as such... Youíre looking at a politically correct dumbed down and indoctrinated World Community... An Eye for an Eye... A Tooth for a Tooth.... In my opinion it canít be equated to Radical Islam or anything else itís separate and different....
    Thank A Democrat... Vote DNC

AOC... New Leader DNC ....

If we base everything we do on what the World Community does we are screwed... Obambi was a World Community type of guy and that didn’t workout worth a dam... Sometimes we must learn from mistakes...
    Last edited by tucker; 07-16-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Please remember the rule about personal insults, and remember that it applies to everyone, not just other posters. I remind you: this is not TLR, and here we are adults.

Meridian
    Last edited by Meridian; 07-16-2019 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Personal insult

^^^ My dear old daddy once told me you will learn more if you listen and talk less.... well, I listened and listened and listened... My dear old daddy has been dead for many years... Now it’s my turn to talk...

You know what I don’t believe you shut down the TLR for a name change. I sure would like to know if I’m wasting my time with you. What the heck is going on... I’ve been here 16 years I figure I have the right to know...
    Last edited by tucker; 07-16-2019 at 07:20 PM.

We didn't shut it down for a name change, and no-one has claimed so. We closed it down because it was toxic and an embarrassment to the site. The rules you need to follow in the new world are right there in the open. They are simple. They just require people to behave like adults.

We do not have a problem with people having strong opinions. We have no objections to you stating them in a non-abusive message. We get that you don't like Democrats. But we do have a problem with dog-whistle politics and personal abuse. We also have a problem with people who behave like eight-year olds in a school playground.

These are not aimed specifically at you, just at the whole general tone of TLR of old.

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    We didn't shut it down for a name change, and no-one has claimed so. We closed it down because it was toxic and an embarrassment to the site. The rules you need to follow in the new world are right there in the open. They are simple. They just require people to behave like adults.

We do not have a problem with people having strong opinions. We have no objections to you stating them in a non-abusive message. We get that you don't like Democrats. But we do have a problem with dog-whistle politics and personal abuse. We also have a problem with people who behave like eight-year olds in a school playground.

These are not aimed specifically at you, just at the whole general tone of TLR of old.
    You know what you are not being truthful the way it’s worded is deceptive and misleading. Well I’m glad to hear you don’t have a problem with strong opinions. By the way are going to be the new word monitor. You better start with the Squad they are known to have filthy mouths... I’m tone deaf to much loud rock n roll...

Btw... I assume I can’t banned for stating my opinion, I hope... In my opinion if Ryan was still aboard this would of never happened. Are you the sole power around here or is there coconspirators. As an example maybe Mr otoc... Be truthful please... As a matter of fact I have no idea who code name Meridian is... You inherited a good thing and you are screwing it up... My opinion, thanks.
    Last edited by tucker; 07-17-2019 at 10:11 AM.

The rules you need to follow in the new world are right there in the open. They are simple. They just require people to behave like adults.
    Brave New World indeed. It's SJW's like yourself that are ensuring there are more and more rules every year for white heterosexual males to follow. All others get a free pass. I'll never follow your rules meridian. Never.
    Last edited by kbohip; 07-17-2019 at 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling error
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

...we do have a problem with dog-whistle politics...
    Good luck with that one. Its a social justice warrior creation to turn the mundane into the ominous. The one often cited?

If you want to cast him as just a nativist, his slogan "Make America Great Again" can be read as a dog-whistle to some whiter and more Anglo-Saxon past.
    óRoss Douthat, The New York Times, 10 August 2015
    So using Republican slogans in your new rule set is a problem?

Good luck with that.

I've always wondered: why is social justice warrior an insult? Are you suggesting we should be fighting for social injustice? Personally I don't fight for anything, but if was to do so, social justice seems to be an admirable goal.

I've always wondered: why is social justice warrior an insult? Are you suggesting we should be fighting for social injustice? Personally I don't fight for anything, but if was to do so, social justice seems to be an admirable goal.
    Wear it with pride if it fits.

I'm sorry you don't fight for anything. That seems like an empty place to be.

Dog-whistle politics is verboten... that's rich. Prejudice reigns again in TLR.

SJW is not an insult, it's an accurate title for those who engage in such activity. It's pimped as an insult by SJW's to silence dissent.

The 3 step has been practiced here:

1) You are a (insert accurate depiction of political leanings here), here's the proof to back the claim.

2) I've been insulted.. it's a personal attack! Blue is red.. up is down.. follow my ever changing rules or you are a racist!

3) Infraction issued, post deleted. SJW mission accomplished.

Rinse... wash... repeat until all logical posting has been vilified as a personal attack.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Personal abuse. No, not just because it was aimed at me.

Meridian
    Last edited by Meridian; 07-18-2019 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Personal abuse