Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 564
  1. #121
    Joined
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Vvardenfell
    Age
    58
    Posts
    10,946

    Re: What Is 2019-2020 Reality Fake OR Fact

    But that's also the point of dog-whistle statements: the statement in question can be taken either way. The supporters know it's racist, and they agree with it. The opposition claim it's racist, but the supporters them point out that maybe the people claiming racism are taking things out of context.

    Put it this way: the are hundreds of rat-infested slums in America. Every city has at least one. But the one selected happens to be majority non-white. The statement may be neutral, but the context is definitely not. And context is everything.

  2. #122
    Joined
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Colorafornia, USSA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    13,825

    Re: What Is 2019-2020 Reality Fake OR Fact

    OK, so you complain about me deleting a post for being insulting, by being insulting. I assume that was meant to be clever.


    M
    Last edited by Meridian; 08-05-2019 at 04:41 PM.

  3. #123
    Joined
    May 2002
    Location
    Twain Harte, CA
    Posts
    20,453

    Re: What Is 2019-2020 Reality Fake OR Fact

    Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    But that's also the point of dog-whistle statements: the statement in question can be taken either way. The supporters know it's racist, and they agree with it. The opposition claim it's racist, but the supporters them point out that maybe the people claiming racism are taking things out of context.

    Put it this way: the are hundreds of rat-infested slums in America. Every city has at least one. But the one selected happens to be majority non-white. The statement may be neutral, but the context is definitely not. And context is everything.
    You'll have to point out the coded language. I'm one of the supporters you mention, and don't know the comment is racist. I find it laughable that the folks claiming they hear dog whistles in their opponents language are always on the left. Maybe its in their imagination.

    Keep in mind, Trump didn't start the fight, Cummings from Baltimore did... that's why its the subject.

    Its also not true that every city in America has a rat infested slum. Don't know where you came up with that idea. And as its was pointed out earlier, the worst ones that do are almost all run by Democrats.

  4. #124
    Joined
    May 2002
    Location
    Twain Harte, CA
    Posts
    20,453

    Re: What Is 2019-2020 Reality Fake OR Fact

    Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    The opposition claim it's racist, but the supporters them point out that maybe the people claiming racism are taking things out of context.
    In this case, right here, the opposite happened. otoc, who can fairly be aligned with "the opposition", wants to pluck a few words from a tweet, whereas I, who can fairly be aligned with "the supporters" am asking for the full context to be looked at. It appears your assertion is flawed.

  5. #125
    Joined
    May 2002
    Location
    Twain Harte, CA
    Posts
    20,453

    Re: What Is 2019-2020 Reality Fake OR Fact

    To those of you who think dog whistles are a real thing, when AOC called the holding areas at the southern border, "Trump's concentration camps", was she dog whistling that Trump is a Nazi?

    Asking for a friend.

  6. #126
    Joined
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    10,826

    Re: What Is 2019-2020 Reality Fake OR Fact

    Accurate, but juvenile.


    M
    Last edited by Meridian; 08-05-2019 at 04:47 PM.
    Thomas Jefferson to John Page Fairfeilds Dec: 25. 1762.
    ... But the old-fellows say we must read to gain knowledge; and gain knowledge to make us happy and be admired. Mere jargon! Is there any such thing as happiness in this world? No: And as for admiration I am sure the man who powders most, parfumes most, embroiders most, and talks most nonsense, is most admired.

  7. #127
    Joined
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    10,826

    Re: What Is 2019-2020 Reality Fake OR Fact

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    You'll have to point out the coded language. I'm one of the supporters you mention, and don't know the comment is racist. I find it laughable that the folks claiming they hear dog whistles in their opponents language are always on the left. Maybe its in their imagination.

    Keep in mind, Trump didn't start the fight, Cummings from Baltimore did... that's why its the subject.

    Its also not true that every city in America has a rat infested slum. Don't know where you came up with that idea. And as its was pointed out earlier, the worst ones that do are almost all run by Democrats.
    Really? No human would live in Baltimore, but humans do. That with the attack on minority congress women of color, etc etc etc. How might you think minorities might react?

    Cummings did his job regarding congressional oversight. The 'attack' was his inability to get the administration to admit the conditions were inhumane during questioning. For that he was one attacked.

    Lol, I wish I had a dollar for every right wing outrage brought on by a comment made from someone on the left. I'd be happy with cashing in on the 2nd amendment topic when people suggest doing something outside of thoughts and prayers. Those select words easily trigger 'they are coming to take your guns away!!'.

    Now if the subject were feeding the white nationalist base, I think you are right. It isn't the left doing that.
    Thomas Jefferson to John Page Fairfeilds Dec: 25. 1762.
    ... But the old-fellows say we must read to gain knowledge; and gain knowledge to make us happy and be admired. Mere jargon! Is there any such thing as happiness in this world? No: And as for admiration I am sure the man who powders most, parfumes most, embroiders most, and talks most nonsense, is most admired.

  8. #128
    Joined
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    10,826

    Re: What Is 2019-2020 Reality Fake OR Fact

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    I didn't open a deleted post, merely added the comment that it was in response to you (it wasn't clear when the portion quoting you was deleted).

    As to proving a comment is passive aggressive by pointing out one sentence from a dialogue as the lone example... nah, especially since you're doing it after the fact in an attempt to prove a point you made earlier that was summarily disproven.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    I was speed reading earlier, so missed this gem:



    In my eyes, he's a kid. Probably the same in Trumps eyes. Its not meant to diminish. I won't jump to the "diminishing" conclusion because you don't capitalize his name.

    As to the "squirrel" reference you're unclear about... Maybe reread the numerous times you reacted to the movie "Up" reference with knowledge.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    I know nothing!!!

    And I suppose its to be expected... but the long distortions to redefine words are always hilarious. Especially in a thread about fake vs. fact... Clearly, passive aggression avoids confrontation by definition.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    Its not easy arguing that something isn't what it isn't. Maybe you should make the argument that it is what you say it is.

    That said, I don't see anything whatsoever in those words that even hints at racism (or the word salad of "opening towards the race card of division"). Simply saying that some think it is doesn't make it so. Within its context (or without, actually) its certainly not passive aggressive. You'll have to explain that one.

    Would you want to live where there are rat infestations? Do you know anyone that would? How, exactly, is saying the obvious racist?

    Your side of politics has claimed dang near everything said to people of any non-white color by those on the right is racist. That doesn't make it so. In the same vein, calling people on the right Nazis, white supremacists, etc., doesn't make that so either.

    You're using a common left wing tactic of desperation... using reactions to words as judgement of those words instead of what they actually say. Its an overplayed hand. Were it poker, I'd call.

    Having spent a lot racing breaks here today, I'll look forward to some word salad in four days or so...
    I don't need 4 days. I have nothing to offer to this stated opinion of yours other than my earlier words you describe as 'salad'. I guess we will need to agree to disagree. See how select words have impact, dutch? A hidden meaning?

    It's like you and scooter using verbal references like squirrel and Schultz instead of the now banned images you guys would rebut me with in the old TLR. Sweet way to bend the rules, lol. Select words again. I've nothing to respond to you in kind other that to point out the obvious and have moved onto this new topic of the impact of select words.
    Thomas Jefferson to John Page Fairfeilds Dec: 25. 1762.
    ... But the old-fellows say we must read to gain knowledge; and gain knowledge to make us happy and be admired. Mere jargon! Is there any such thing as happiness in this world? No: And as for admiration I am sure the man who powders most, parfumes most, embroiders most, and talks most nonsense, is most admired.

  9. #129
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Kern River Valley, CA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    21,650

    Re: What Is 2019-2020 Reality Fake OR Fact

    Fake or Fact

    Is socialism a legitimate form or of government or a illegitimate form of government. In my opinion it’s an illegitimate form of government.

    The reasons can be found


    Here

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Marx



    Here

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor

    And Here

    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/02/vene...k-therapy.html

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Marx
    Thank A Democrat... Vote DNC

    AOC... New Leader DNC ....

  10. #130
    Joined
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Vvardenfell
    Age
    58
    Posts
    10,946

    Re: What Is 2019-2020 Reality Fake OR Fact

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    To those of you who think dog whistles are a real thing, when AOC called the holding areas at the southern border, "Trump's concentration camps", was she dog whistling that Trump is a Nazi?

    Asking for a friend.

    Ah -"asking for a friend". Of course you are.

    Actually using the expression "concentration camps" is exactly correct, as in the original use of the expression, which is the British in the Boer War. The so-called "concentration camps" of WW2 were more accurately labour camps, then death camps. They were called concentration camps by the allies to excuse not talking about them while the war was on.

  11. #131
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Kern River Valley, CA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    21,650

    Re: What Is 2019-2020 Reality Fake OR Fact

    Off Topic.


    M
    Last edited by Meridian; 08-06-2019 at 03:59 AM.
    Thank A Democrat... Vote DNC

    AOC... New Leader DNC ....

  12. #132
    Joined
    May 2002
    Location
    Twain Harte, CA
    Posts
    20,453

    Re: What Is 2019-2020 Reality Fake OR Fact

    Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    Ah -"asking for a friend". Of course you are.
    Your sense of humor is... where?

    Actually using the expression "concentration camps" is exactly correct, as in the original use of the expression, which is the British in the Boer War. The so-called "concentration camps" of WW2 were more accurately labour camps, then death camps. They were called concentration camps by the allies to excuse not talking about them while the war was on.
    Being from Rotterdam with many family members there during the Nazi occupation there in WWII (both parents, about 20 aunts and uncles, both sets of grandparents) some of which actually went to the concentration camps, I'll pass on your expertise in trying to equate them to what's happening on the southern border.

    Let's get back to the question... to those of you who think dog whistles are a real thing, when AOC called the holding areas at the southern border, "Trump's concentration camps", was she dog whistling that Trump is a Nazi?
    Last edited by Dutchcedar; 08-05-2019 at 06:19 PM.

  13. #133
    Joined
    May 2002
    Location
    Twain Harte, CA
    Posts
    20,453

    Re: What Is 2019-2020 Reality Fake OR Fact

    Quote Originally Posted by otoc View Post
    Really? No human would live in Baltimore, but humans do. That with the attack on minority congress women of color, etc etc etc. How might you think minorities might react?

    Cummings did his job regarding congressional oversight. The 'attack' was his inability to get the administration to admit the conditions were inhumane during questioning. For that he was one attacked.

    Lol, I wish I had a dollar for every right wing outrage brought on by a comment made from someone on the left. I'd be happy with cashing in on the 2nd amendment topic when people suggest doing something outside of thoughts and prayers. Those select words easily trigger 'they are coming to take your guns away!!'.

    Now if the subject were feeding the white nationalist base, I think you are right. It isn't the left doing that.
    You've gone off into what someone here calls a "tangent", but haven't pointed out the coded language.

    As an aside, the population of Baltimore is declining because... wait for it... people are leaving... because they don't want to live there.

    If you'd like to live there, here's a 3 unit, 3 bedroom, 3 bath investment opportunity you can pick up for $15,000.

  14. #134
    Joined
    May 2002
    Location
    Twain Harte, CA
    Posts
    20,453

    Re: What Is 2019-2020 Reality Fake OR Fact

    Quote Originally Posted by otoc View Post
    I don't need 4 days.
    Hey, I was just going by the rule you claimed to be sticking to. If you've found some new freedom, power to ya!!!

  15. #135
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    26,285

    Re: What Is 2019-2020 Reality Fake OR Fact

    Abuse


    M
    Last edited by Meridian; 08-06-2019 at 04:00 AM.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."


    -The Gipper


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •