Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Iraq War.

Re: The Iraq War.

Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz View Post
    When I was here many years ago, it was the hot topic, and opinions on both sides were strong - this was also reflected in the country in general - You don't think it's weird that people have somehow forgotten - the last full term President afterall was partly elected because of his stance on the Iraq war. It's weird that you have right wing personalities suddenly supporting a President, whom they would have inferred as a traitor during the Iraq war ( though trump wasn't really vocal enough to be noticed at the time)

It's not really a strawman as well. It was more of an invitation to explain, i know that many of the conservative members here still support Trump, but I'm wondering why that certain issue never came up. It's like we invaded a country and killed, spent millions of dollars, and was heavily defended and such - then as the coverage of Iraq fades... its like there is absolutely no discussion of Trumps dissent during that period

Some views have evolved, things have changed, but your views during the conflict will remain the same. This post was an invitation to explain and I still see a few are still as strong about their views of the Iraq war. I see some have

" we are not single issue voters""

I guess my problem with that, this isn't a single issue like whether people should be drug tested for welfar. It was a pretty substantial issue that effected a whole region, our spending, and our american citizens. I just find it odd how people forget how fervant they were during the climax of the war, and how quickly we forget. If I have made any point with this, it was that.

It's not even so much as supporting/notsupporting, its as if the issue was forgotten completely. I wouldn't support Trump because there are others who also didn't support the war. If he was the only one running with that position, I just wouldn't vote. And lets say, Bernie Sanders was running and he talked about supporting the Iraq war, that would COMPLETELY change my view about him, and I would struggle with it, and i would be vocal about that
    Like I said Trump was left with Obama’s mess. He helped, I say again helped the Iraqi forces defeat ISIS. He used air power and advisors no massive troop deployments. “As of 9/15/19 “Iraq: About 5,200 U.S. troops are in Iraq as of January, per a spokesperson from the Department of Defense. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said American troops are presently deployed in Iraq to help combat ISIS”... Wars can’t be like Walmart, Costco of Pennys. They cost millions and billions. Just what kind of words are trying to put in somebody’s mouth. Your question amounts to a out of control circular saw... You are “boocoo dinky dow” ...

Most people unlike you support the troops when they are fighting and dying... The age of no support for the troops died in 1975... Except for some in the democratic party...

btw... I believe Al Qaeda was one of the combatants in Iraq. Shocking!
    Thank A Democrat... Vote DNC

AOC... New Leader DNC ....

Quote Originally Posted by tucker View Post

Most people unlike you support the troops when they are fighting and dying... The age of no support for the troops died in 1975... Except for some in the democratic party...
    YES. Thanks for bolstering my point. This is the kinda rhetoric I was talking about! You all would have called Trump a traitor during the Iraq War based on his statements, if he was more vocal. Now you support him. you really do illustrate the rhetoric of some of the same americans that now support Trump

After a million reports and debriefs about what started the conflict, you are STILL saying 9/11 was somehow connected, i am not sure how much effort i should put into this discussion..

But thank you for illustrating my point, because you are the exact type of person i was referring to

I don’t know what you’re trying to prove... One might say I’m like the democrats and you “I was for the war before I was against it”... Two totally different reasons... The democrats strictly political reasons. My reason... We’ve been at war in that area of the world since 1990 the first gulf war. If I still know how to subtract that’s 29 years. At some point you have to figure out that area of the world is FUBAR, SNAFU... The main reason why it’s like that is a fake religion and a fake god... people willing to take advantage of it. Throughout history some of the worst wars were religious wars... We’ve dug the hole so deep we can’t get out... Dogs chase tail because it’s there. We are chasing tail because we think it’s the right thing to do... Chasing tail can be a habit... A bad habit...

Like pretty much every "religious" war in history, the situation in the Middle East has nothing to do with religion. It is about the same things all wars are about: land, power, resources, control. And in the case of the Middle East, throw in Sykes-Picot. Even the Sunni-Shi'ite mess has little to do with actual religion, and a great deal to do with controlling Islam.

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    Like pretty much every "religious" war in history, the situation in the Middle East has nothing to do with religion. It is about the same things all wars are about: land, power, resources, control. And in the case of the Middle East, throw in Sykes-Picot. Even the Sunni-Shi'ite mess has little to do with actual religion, and a great deal to do with controlling Islam.
    Okay not religious.... Allāhu akbar ...

You seem to be assuming that the cannon fodder are in on it? I said what caused the war, not what some people fight for. And many of the people calling out "God is the greatest" (a more accurate translation than the usual "God is great") are actually miserably ignorant of pretty much every aspect of the religion they claim to espouse. There's a telling story of a French (IIRC) hostage of ISIS. Able to read Arabic, he asked for a copy of the Koran to read. They didn't have one. The fanatics who make up ISIS and Al Qaeda are exactly the same people who become fanatics in any other organisation: young disaffected men who feel that life hasn't given them what they deserve and need someone to blame for it. I ripe recruiting ground for every despot in history. The grunts may think it's about Islam, but you can be pretty sure that the people at the top do not. No matter what they say in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    You seem to be assuming that the cannon fodder are in on it? I said what caused the war, not what some people fight for. And many of the people calling out "God is the greatest" (a more accurate translation than the usual "God is great") are actually miserably ignorant of pretty much every aspect of the religion they claim to espouse. There's a telling story of a French (IIRC) hostage of ISIS. Able to read Arabic, he asked for a copy of the Koran to read. They didn't have one. The fanatics who make up ISIS and Al Qaeda are exactly the same people who become fanatics in any other organisation: young disaffected men who feel that life hasn't given them what they deserve and need someone to blame for it. I ripe recruiting ground for every despot in history. The grunts may think it's about Islam, but you can be pretty sure that the people at the top do not. No matter what they say in public.

Hmmm... That must be why they kill Christians and Jews... Or is it... scratch head. Apparently most Muslims in the Middle East must be fanatics... They don’t seem interested in stopping the murder and torture. I’m sure there must be an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by tucker View Post
    Hmmm... That must be why they kill Christians and Jews... Or is it... scratch head. Apparently most Muslims in the Middle East must be fanatics... They don’t seem interested in stopping the murder and torture. I’m sure there must be an excuse...

Actually the vast majority of their victims are Muslims...