Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Unhappy Major slowdown!

OK peepz,
    I'd just like to apologize in regards to the FAQ's slow development. Recently, time has been limited, both due to school and work.

Also, as many of you now know, I moderate the 'Drivers' forum, and co-moderate this one. In this way, the time I would normally have to work on various areas of the FAQ has been allocated to moderating duties.

In this way, I would just like to say that this FAQ will obviously take longer to complete than originally planned.

Right now, I am stilling looking for dedicated FAQ developers, that would be willing to complete individual topics.

Originally, I thought I would have no problem with organizing and distributing the work load, but have now come to the conclusion that I could also use some assistance at the organizational end of things.

ANyone who is will to help out with the some of what I have mentioned, please PM me.

Thanks,

Soul
    CNS, A+, Network+, Server+
    Next up, MCP: Windows 2K3 Server, Exchange 2K3, SQL 2K

Primary Workstation: AMD Athlon64 3000+ | Biostar IDEq 200P | 2 x 512 MB ULTRA DDR433 PC3500 CAS 2-2-2-6 | 1 x 120 GB Maxtor UDMA-133 8 MB cache | PNY NVIDIA GeForceFX 5900 400 core, 850 memory w/VIVO | NEC Black DVD-+RW/CD-RW 8x4x16x, 32x16x32x | Sony Black 1.44 MB Floppy Drive | Microsoft Windows XP SP1 (...anxiously awaiting stable version of Windows XP64)

Home Server: AMD K6-2 333@400 | 256MB PC-133@100 3-3-3 | ST Labs PCI IDE RAID Controller | 2 x 15GB Maxtor 7.2K RPM UDMA-100 RAID1 | GeForce2 MX 32MB | Mitsumi 4x4x8 CD-RW | Win2K Server SP3, running DHCP, DNS, RAS, and Terminal Services (in remote admin mode)

Laptop: Compaq Presario 910CA | AthlonXP 1500+ | Mobile Radeon IGP320 | 256MB DDR-266 | 30GB Fujitsu 4.2K RPM UDMA-100 | 8x8x8x24 DVD/CD-RW | Microsoft Windows XP SP1

great faq but brian where are you from?
    Tbird - 1000@1470
    Cellery 300@336
    Pee 3 750@750
    Cellery 566@566
    Pee 4 1500@1500

wealth of info right here

If I don't know it off the top of my head I have a book on it. I have been MCSE for two years and I am almost done with the Cisco CCNA net academy. Also, I have two quarters of college left before i have three degrees. My computer books stacked up would go to about 12 feet.

I've been a qualified CCNA for over a year and will shortly be completing my CCNP. I also work in the networking in industry - feel free to rape my mind!

The only stuff I don't touch is Windows networking, but if you want IP, DNS, DHCP, ISDN, Ethernet, Token-ring, FDDI, Hyperchannel, Frame-Relay, Cisco, Bay, Nortel, Cache Engines, SSL Accelerators - pretty much anything, I'll certainly do what I can!

Regards,

Dave
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Athlon XP1600+
    Gigabyte GA-7DXR F8b
    256Mb Crucial PC2100 DDR ECC Registered
    Inno3D GeForce2 MX400 64MB
    Western Digital Caviar 40GB 7200rpm ATA-100
    Lite-on 40x16x12 CD-RW
    VideoLogic SonicFury
    Cambridge Audio DTT-2100 5.1 Speakers
    Elsa 56kbps HCF Modem
    3DMark2000 - 5455
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

i have 2 computers that i would like to network (link together)
    this is the first real attempt i have made but i just cant get em to work i have a pc chips board with onboard net card and a k7s5a board with a surecom card (seperate)drivers installed on both machine and a cat 5 cable (dont think its a cross over cable i have 1 of them little things also that clips on the end of the cable i need pointers (excact info would be nice)i havent a clue how to go on with it i am useing win 98se on both machines cna someone help please

--------------------------
    my queen my country and my AK47 not necciserily in that order
    non

i would like to put in my share, although it is for the more advanced users...

===========
    CABLE PINOUTS
    ===========

RJ-11 (basic telephone wires)
    ----------
    2 - 2
    3 - 3

RJ-45 straight through
    ----------
    1 - 1
    2 - 2
    3 - 3
    6 - 6

RJ-45 crossover (connects like devices)
    ----------
    1 - 3
    2 - 6
    3 - 1
    6 - 2

RJ-45 BRI w/ ST interface (ISDN)
    ----------
    3 - 3
    4 - 4
    5 - 5
    6 - 6

RJ-45 BRI w/ U interface (ISDN)
    ----------
    4 - 4
    5 - 5

RJ-48 (T1 crossover)
    ----------
    1 - 2
    2 - 1
    4 - 5
    5 - 4

RJ-45 56k (back to back CSU/DSUs for testing out connection - 56k crossever)
    ----------
    1 - 1
    2 - 2
    7 - 7
    8 - 8

RJ-45 rollover (basically used to configure most Cisco products)
    ----------
    1 - 8
    2 - 7
    3 - 6
    4 - 5
    5 - 4
    6 - 3
    7 - 2
    8 - 1

-----------------
    awaiting the dreaded CCIE lab in April '02

My piddlin opinion.

AWESOME.
    This FAQ would be great as long as the info isn't overly assumptive.
    I just went through hell trying to get two XP pro machines to happily co-exist. I used up the not-too-helpful Windows help. And printed every page of Practicallynetworked's XP instructions. I posted here and on Speed Guide.net forums. At long last and after removing some of my already sparse head covering, I got the ICS to run. How? On both machines and on both card profiles in the host I cleared all settings to AUTO and rebooted between every operation. Then ran the network setup wizard and BOOM. There it is. Two machines with identical NICs and good wire to a good hub and we are moving down the ATT broadband driveway of life.
    Keep going here and build a USEFUL but QUALITY FAQ and the world will on day that you for it.
    BTW SOCOM18E my MOS was 13b arty then they changed the numbers and it was 92b then I saw the light and went Air Force Air Transportation 2T271 loading the big birds. I love packing up folks and waving bye-bye.
    Toodles

i just finished the last core class for my MCSE200 trak. so i have lots of books. it might take me a bit to answer but i look at it has a win win. you give me problems and i have to give the right answer. this will help me on the test so fire away
    300w psw
    ThermalTakevalcano 7
    Dragon+ 1700xp
    256 ddr 2100
    Dell 21" p1130
    ATI radeon 7200 64 DDR
    30 GIG maxtor ata 100 7200
    60 GIG maxtor ata 133 7200
    HP CD-RW 9300
    Creative DVD 12x
    Soundblaster Audigy Platinum sound
    Creative Inspire 5.1 5700 Speakers
    Linksys 10/100 nic

Those interested in participating please PM me. Once I have a list of 3-5 names, I can start assigning sections of the FAQ to each individual.

Thanks,

Soul

Primary Workstation: AMD Athlon64 3000+ | Biostar IDEq 200P | 2 x 512 MB ULTRA DDR433 PC3500 CAS 2-2-2-6 | 1 x 120 GB Maxtor UDMA-133 8 MB cache | PNY NVIDIA GeForceFX 5900 400 core, 850 memory w/VIVO | NEC Black DVD-+RW/CD-RW 8x4x16x, 32x16x32x | Sony Black 1.44 MB Floppy Drive | Microsoft Windows XP SP1 (...anxiously awaiting stable version of Windows XP64)

Home Server: AMD K6-2 333@400 | 256MB PC-133@100 3-3-3 | ST Labs PCI IDE RAID Controller | 2 x 15GB Maxtor 7.2K RPM UDMA-100 RAID1 | GeForce2 MX 32MB | Mitsumi 4x4x8 CD-RW | Win2K Server SP3, running DHCP, DNS, RAS, and Terminal Services (in remote admin mode)

Laptop: Compaq Presario 910CA | AthlonXP 1500+ | Mobile Radeon IGP320 | 256MB DDR-266 | 30GB Fujitsu 4.2K RPM UDMA-100 | 8x8x8x24 DVD/CD-RW | Microsoft Windows XP SP1

Here's my contribution, copied it from my post in the Soyo forum.

Hope it helps for somethings.

Preping for installation:

(Before you do anything with your system, if you have it previously overclocked and/or the memory timings set to more aggresive, now is the time to set everything back to defaults. There is much less chance of data corruption during file copies, and other things going wrong. It's a safety precaution.)

The first thing you want to do is make sure your disk is partitioned correctly. With Windows 2000/XP you can just convert the partition to NTFS during the setup if you so desire. Use FDisk, from a 98 startup disk, and partition to your liking.

Using FDisk:

FDisk is a fairly simple and straight foward DOS based partitioning utility. You MUST create a Primary DOS partition to install your operating system on (Dos/Win95/98/ME). For Windows 2000/XP you can use either FDisk (note: it can only make FAT and FAT32 partitons) or you can create/modify your partitions during the setup.

Step 1 (DOS/Win95/98/ME):

Create Primary DOS Parition (Size may vary, I recommand about 5GB). *Reasoning being that the Primary DOS partition is the fastest area of the disk.

Step 2 (DOS/Win95/98/ME):

Create Extended DOS Partition:
    Allocate all space toward Extended DOS Partition.

Step 3: (DOS/Win95/98/ME):

Create Logical Drives:

Recommendation:

1x Games
    1x Apps
    *1x Storage

*I use the storage drive to keep a copy of the Windows CD. For Windows 95/98/ME, it is much quicker to install from the hard drive, then from the CD ROM.

Installing OS:

Windows 98:

(Boot with 98 Startup disk)

http://www.drd.dyndns.org/index2.html (If you don't have a boot disk)

Installing Windows 98 is a breeze if you do it my recommended way. Copy the contents of the Windows 98 CD to the storage partition. Goto the directory in which you copied the files to, and simply run "setup". Using the copy command is limited, but on the Windows 98 CD, there aren't any subdirs (everything should be in the root directory), so using the copy command is fine. For others though, like Windows 2000/XP, you will need to download Xcopy.

Xcopy can be found here:

http://www.techadvice.com/W95/S/start-up_disk_w95.htm

Windows 2000/XP:

There are two ways to do this installation:

1) Put the CD-ROM in the CD, and boot from it. Make sure your Boot Sequence in the BIOS is setup correctly.

2) Copy the contents of the 2000/XP CD (see Windows 98 to find out how to copy sub directories) to your storage drive. Then goto the directory which you copied the files to. Goto the i386 directory. Then type "winnt".

The rest of the installation (regardless of OS) should be very straight foward. For most modern motherboards, for Windows XP that is, the Promise RAID and ATA100 drivers are built into XP. There is no reason to load them from a disk. For Windows 2000 you will have to.

Installing RAID Drivers for Windows 2000:

You must download the RAID drivers which fit your controller. Either Promsie or HighPoint.

For Promise go here:

http://www.promise.com/support/download_eng.asp

For Highpoint go here:

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/

You will have to know which version of the drivers you need, consult the manual for details.

After that is done, and you download the necessary drives, put them into a \win2000 directory. Then you should be able to load them during the installation when it tells you to hit F6 for 3rd party RAID/SCSI drivers.

Installing RAID from 98:

Slightly different, as a 98 startup disk, can already detect the array, without any special drivers loaded just yet. After the installation is complete, you will have to install them in the Device Manager.

Post Installation:

Step 1:

Install the VIA chipset drivers. Note: For Windows XP I would recommend installing ONLY the AGP Gart 4.10 and the IDE Filter 1.20a driver (never install beta drivers). Neither of which is included with Windows XP. The other ones are either known to hurt performance and/or create system instabilities. Reboot system between each driver install.
    http://www.viahardware.com/download/index.shtm#4in1
    or
    http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

Step 2:

Windows 2000 ONLY:

Install SP2 (Full install, if you must install SP1, then do it before, reboot, and then install SP2, reboot.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows200...sp2/default.asp

Step 3

Windows 9x/2000/XP

May require you to install NIC if the OS hasn't already.
    Goto the MS update page and download ALL "Critical Updates". Reboot.

Step 4

Goto MS update page and download ALL other critical updates (if any), if there are no other critical updates, download all necessary (user defined) "Recommended Updates" or "Windows XP Updates" (depending on OS). If you don't know what to download, download them all!

Step 5

Install any other devices drivers such as Firewire and RAID/SCSI (only if they weren't installed by the OS, DO NOT update unless the XP native drivers give you trouble!)

Step 6
    Install Critical applications such as Microsoft Office or Microsoft Visual Studio (after they are installed, check MS update page for any updates to them, if there are any, download and install them, and reboot afterwards.

Step 7

Install any other applications that can make critical system changes, such as CDRW software (Adaptec), Antivirus, or any type of Norton applications. Reboot after your install each one if prompted.

Step 7a

2000/XP ONLY

Now at this point install the ASPI layer. Reboot afterwards

Utility to check your ASPI layer:
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...key=aspichk.exe

What is ASPI?
    http://aspi.radified.com/

Download BASE ASPI Layer files (install before running update):
    http://clonecd.gearhost.net/clonecd/forceASPI17.zip

Update for ASPI layer:
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...ekey=aspi32.exe

Step 8

Install any other applications and games. Deal with the 256 colors (98/2000), XP will probably have some sort of base video driver installed.

Step 9

Install Direct X 8.1

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/di...ads/default.asp

Step 10

Install Sound drivers (NOTE XP ONLY: If you don't need the 4 speaker [front/back] for your sound card, use the drivers XP has built into it, and run the update, and install the WDM update (if applicable).

Step 11

Next install your video drivers. For nVidia cards I recommend the 27.42's because on multiple systems they proved to be the most stable.
    For TNT and GeForce line cards:

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=drivers

For ATI line cards:

http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html

Tweaks/Performance helpers:

Disable hibernation: For people with smaller OS paritions, and large amounts of RAM it could be taking up some much needed space. It will take up the amount of space equal to your RAM. To disable this feature, if it doesn't appeal to you, goto Control Panel, Power Option or Power Management (depending on your OS), and there is a tab for hibernate, simply uncheck it, and click apply, and your done!

Tip: XP only (but other OS's may apply, I've only tested it under XP). This can help with the Infamous XP infinate loop issue, but also can occur in other OS's.

Goto start, run, and type Regedit

HKEY_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NV4

If this key exsits, then edit the IMAGEPATH to point to nv4_mini.sys, instead of nv4.sys.

Tip: XP ONLY!

Open up My Computer, goto Tools, Folder Options, and uncheck hidden and system files. Proceed to browse the windows dir, under the INF folder, and open a file called sysoc.inf. From there, you can delete the "hide" in some of the keys under the [components] header. After which you can goto the control panel, add/remove programs, and windows components. From there, you can un-install certain windows components that are useless.

Tweak: All OS

Assigning the max and min size of the pagefile (2000/xp)/swapfile 9x will help keep it less fragmented, and improve performance. I recommend 1x-1.5x RAM. Different operating systems this is changed in different locations.

Finale:

After all is done, run a program like Norton Utilities (if applicable), or regclean will work fine for 9x platforms. This will clean out the registry removing anything left over from your installation, or installations of software and/or games, then defrag the HD.
    You should have a great system, in a matter of no time.

Useful applications:

Tweak XP

http://www.totalidea.de/tweakxpdown.shtml

Tweak UI (9x)

On the Windows 98 CD, under Resources Kit\Power Tools.

Right click on the tweakui.inf, and click install. Close the help that comes up to finish the install.

Useful links:

This is a great site to help tweak your system to it's maximum performance levels!

http://www.rojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz.htm

Good site for those hard to describe BIOS settings, and guides on certain things! Check it out. Great e-mail response time for questions and articles not discussed on their website!

http://www.lostcircuits.com/advice/bios2/1.shtml

Good site for tweaking Windows XP

http://www.tweakxp.com

Later,
    Oz
    Rig:

Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

No degrees no nothing!
    Self educated.

If all some you need to do is network two computrs together all you havt have is the following.
    Method #1
    Get a rs232 cable and attach it from one comm port to another ie Comm1 or 2 but dont mix ie Comm 1 to Comm 2.
    Method #2
    Install a NIC in each computer and connect them with a crossover cable.
    In iether case go to add remomove programs/windows components and make sure dialup and VPN is installed.
    Go to network neaborhood (right click)properties. Click on Identification Tab and each computer a name. ie Station1/Station2? When you look in the properties pane you should see Client for Microsoft networks. Dailup Adapter. Your NIC should be listed allso. Add protocal for TCP/IP. Highlite the TCP/IP proto and click on properties button. Click on IP tab. Click option Specify network address. In address pane type the following: 192.168.1.1
    Submask: 255.255.255.0
    Disable winS resolution
    Disable DNS
    Do the same on the other computer but specify a different IP ie
    192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.100 as long as it's different. You cannot use the same IP on both machines. But the submask should be the same:255.255.255.0
    In other words one can hook up two computers with this simple setup. No hubs or switchcs are required until you want to connect more than two machines. Now if your using broadband ie DSL/Cable I strongly recomed that you use a Router/Gateway. I use the Linksys 4 port router setup as a gateway. It has a built in DHCP Server (Dynamis Host Control Protocall). That along with NAT (Network Address Translation) will give a fair hardware firewall for reasonable money. If you want more security try Zone Alarm Pro 3.0 works great. On win98 sometimes you may have a problem with the NICs not seeing each other. Go Start/Run type in "winipcfg" when the dialog box pops up you may see PPP hit the down arrow on the right and highlite the NIC. You should see your ip# 192.168.1.1 or whatever the machines IP# is. If you dont click on Release All then click on Renew All your IP# should then be listed. One more thing! If you install a router and your with Verizon or any service provider that supplies software to connect, dont use it! "IT WILL NOT WORK" Uninstall thier software and set up your router. When you set up the router: in net properties set obtain IP Address Automaticly leave the rest disabled especeally Disable DHCP. This is because you can only have 1 DHCP Server per LAN. It's in the router! Enable it! When all is done you only have to click on IE and your online quick! I downloaded a 331MB file the first nite I had DSL, at the same time I had my brother on the phone,he said it should be done by morning, I said hell it's allready one third done. He drove 10 miles to see (didn't beleave me) by the time he arrived it was finished.
    I have no degrees but I Built my first rig from plans in Popular Mechanics many moons ago, 4 bits 86 toggle switches and a LED readout. Monitors/Keyboards??? My CAT5 comes 1000' reels.

Good Luck
    Jules
    Jules

Lookin good guys

I'm now closing this thread. I'll be creating two new ones and sticking them.

The first sticky is the new Network FAQ! Check it out. It is a closed thread!

The second sticky will introduce a thread that will allow you to post questions, comments, and added FAQ material that later can be added to the FAQ.