Fans in 5.25" bays

My case have a lousy intake in the front, putting a fan there wouldn't do much difference. Therefor I've been looking at adding fans in the 5.25" bays.
    Everyone says the intake should be in the bottom of the front. I guess there's a reason for this. But is it much worse to have the intake up in the bays?

Now I have a JustCooler HD-200 (without a HD) which has three 40mm fans, and supposed to give 15CFM at 32dBA. I'm not sure about these numbers because I think it's quite, more quite than the standard 30dBA fan on my Taisol.
    Just behind the fans it's very cool, but they don't seem to be powerful enough to blow the air further into the case...

So I was thinking, since two 5.25" slots together are big enough to put either one 80mm or two 60mm fans, maybe that would work better. Has anyone tried this?
    But I'm conserned about the noise that would cause. If I put a 80mm fan I'd take a Zalman with 28CFM at 20dBA, which I think wouldn't be too noisy. But if I instead uses two 60mm fans, I'd first take the fan from the Taisol and then maybe a Titan. Both fans provides 21.2CFM at 30 and 28 dBA. So those two together would give a better flow than one Zalman, but also much louder.
    If I make the two 60mm fans running on 7V instead of 12V, how much would that affect the airflow and noise?

/rant

yes I have one 80mm and one 60mm in my 2 bottom internal 5.25 bays I opened up the grill in the bezel so that the air would not be restricted and it made a nice improvment with a matching set of exausts added to my previos 2 in 2 out

recently replaced a hd cooler (40mmx3) with a dual unit with a 80mm fan and saw a nice reduction of noise the little 40mm were verry niosy

total 80mm x6 60mm x3 all panaflo's eaven with all these case
    fans the noise is not bad at all

You can go several ways depending on the tools and know how at your disposal.

I chose to lay out a pattern of equal spaced dots in a likable pattern on the front of my plastic bezel. I then drilled those dots out with a 1/8" drill bit to open up the flow. Next I removed the bezel and dremeled the metal screen behind the bezel to make way for 2ea. 80mm fans. This is all at the bottom of the case. You could apply the same concept to the 5 1/2" drive bays. The lower the better though.
    GET WELL TAZ!!!

I was thinking about the external bays, so I don't have to cut any holes (the case doesn't have much space in the front to cut a hole). But then the fans would be placed pretty much at the top of the case. Is it better to consider some other way to get more intake, rather than putting them at the top front?

depends, sounds like u have a mid tower case, if so the cpu is at the top of the case if u have exaust at the back directly behind the cpu there will be a flow across the area if u have a large case then u will be fighting convecction the cool air will come in and sink to the bottom leaving a pocket of hot air at the top,

my bottom 2 5.25 bays(the ones with intake) are at the bottom of a verry large case so it is not a problem (my case)

what ever u do the better results occur with high exaust and low intake and with as much of this flow as possible across the cpu area

u might try blowing air in the side on the cpu and cards with a back and top exaust this works well for small cases were thaere is not a place for normal fans, it seams to me that the front low to back high is the best setup as the air only makes a gentle s turn, turns make resistance and resistance causes backpressure redicing the efficiency of the fans this also enshures there is not a hot spot in the top of the case

Yes you're correct, it's a miditower with an exhaust behind the cpu.
    Adding a fan in the 5.25 bays at the top would mean almost a straight line between intake-cpu-exhaust, with little space above it.. so I shouldn't get too much of a hot air pocket at the top.

For my Antec 1040B adding a fan in the top 3.5 cage will give a straight line air flow across. I think its a reasonable mod without much drawbacks. I put a 60 mm delta 38 CFM there under the floppy drive once but it resulted in no improvement in temps, but I already have excellent airflow. It certainly did not hurt the temps. The powersupply fan should take care of any hot air at the top.
    1.4 TBird AYHJA-4

Epox 8k7a+
    Sony 21 inch E500 monitor
    Antec 1040B
    SK6 w/Sunan 26 CFM
    IBM 40 gig 60GXP
    3Com NIC
    Matrox G450
    512 Crucial 2100 DDR

I have a lousy airflow, and not many tools to mod my case - that's why I wanna do this with easy mods
    How noisy is that delta you put in? Did it affect the overall noise alot when you put it in the front?

The delta is very noisy. For a permanent fan I would use something bigger and quieter. For a bad airflow case sometimes the best quick mod is to run it without the side panels. Instead of fixing a poorly designed case you might want to buy a better one.
    1.4 TBird AYHJA-4

Epox 8k7a+
    Antec 1040B
    SK6 w/Sunan 26 CFM
    IBM 40 gig 60GXP
    3Com NIC
    Matrox G450
    512 Crucial 2100 DDR

The best spot for another exhaust fan would be the top of case. Instead of using the 5.25 bays you could put an intake fan at a side blow hole. (Ducting the blow hole fan to the CPU HSF might be another improvement).

First experiment with cardboard to position blow holes and fans to see what temperature reduction you get. I recommend trying the top blow hole first with cardboard. You may have to drill out the rivets to remove the top cover.
    1.4 TBird AYHJA-4

Epox 8k7a+
    Antec 1040B
    SK6 w/Sunan 26 CFM
    IBM 40 gig 60GXP
    3Com NIC
    Matrox G450
    512 Crucial 2100 DDR

here are some pics i have a dual hdd cooler with one 80mm panaflo
    and a plate that covers 2 5.25 internal bays, have an 80mm and a 60mm in that plate cut the plate out of an old vcr cover u can see where the ziz wheel burnt the paint around the edjes sience it is hidden i did not worry about it

I would not bother with 40mm fans in a hd cooler as they will cool the hd but not much else there are 2 bay units and they do both

people arround here seam to like dremels and whole saws i use a die grinder and whole saws

http://raventai1.homestead.com/files/dualhddfront.jpg
    http://raventai1.homestead.com/files/frontbare.jpg
    Last edited by RavenTai; 09-16-2001 at 04:19 PM.

-=Tawcan=- Guest
    Ok...I see what you're talking about. Have one fan taking air in on top of the cpu on the side case. Then have one on the top of the case taking air out right? So that means I'll need to cut my case open....

The thing is the out-take fan I have right now at the back of the case is already close to the cpu fan.... so I guess maybe have the new fan right in between the northbridge and the cpu heat sink? (Using Epox 8K7A mobo).

Whatz a good tool to use to cut the case open? Just regular saw? Or?