Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best HSF with easy Installation

I have just started to research my first AMD purchase and see that cooling is important

I have also seen that the SK6 is well liked

I would like to know what is the best HSF with the easiest installation as possible, meaning that removing this and that and drilling here and there to install it is not nessessary

The Taisol CGK760092 is a nice HSF that isn't too bad to set up. Nothing special is required (like lapping), just have to put it on (that was a major pain in the ass for me but i think they all are...).

It also comes with a really quiet 21cfm fan and does an excellent job cooling. My 1.4 is OCed to 1551 perfectly stable at 40C idle temps.
    Asus A7N8X Rev 2.0
    AXP 1800+
    512mb Crucial PC2100 DDR
    40gig IBM Deskstar 60GXP
    40gig Hitachi Deskstar
    Gainward GeForce3
    Toshiba 16x DVD
    Plextor 16x CDRW
    Antec SX1040B
    Win2k Pro

I use the Swiftech MCX370 with the helicoil pins. As you can see from my sig, I am running hotter than Shadowrunner with his Taisol (hmmmmmm), but I must say, this one was a piece of cake to install. It has a spring set up, where you screw down on the spring, compressing it till the openings in the bracket are low enough to slide over the lug. With both brackets over the lugs, you just un-screw it till the top of the screw lifts about the bracket, leaving the springs holding the hs in place with (theoretically) just the right amount of force. This is my first ever build, and I had no problems installing it at all.

I looked at the sk6, it is right up at the top of the best performers, but what turned me away from it was the common comment that they often need lapping.

Rick
    Built and Running, now tweaking
    Athlon 1.4/266 non oc (yet)
    KG7 (not lite, not raid) 4J bios
    2 X 256 PC 2100 DDR Crucial Registered
    Barracuda IV 40gig.
    Toshiba DVD,
    Lite On 24X10X40 CD Burner
    Abit Siluro 400T
    Antec SX840, 2 Antec exhaust, 2 Panaflo 47cmf and 1 Sunon 36cfm intake
    MCX370/ASII TT 31cfm, .19A fan (yes, .19)
    40C idle, 45C loaded
    Soundblaster Live 5.1
    Natural Elite, MS Intellimouse Optical
    Using dead IBM 60GXP as an anchor

Zalamn 5000 was so simple and easy for me

If you're uncomfortable screwing the HSF in, try Vantec's CCK-6035D. It gives nice performance and you could train a chimpanzee to put the clip on
    Stephen Cooper
    Founder / Owner
    http://www.mbreview.com

the Vantec CCk 6035D is probably the easiest heatsink to install, but if you want the very best in performance, go for the Swiftech MC-462A

Rickol,

You can't comparing temperature between different motherboards.

For example, Epox 8K7A (+)and KG7 (Lite), I tried both of them with Taisol 760092 + Papst 33cfm, exactly same configuration, but I got higher temperature with KG7 (KG7 is about 5C higher, idle and load). This is because the KG7 thermistor is much higher (and touch the CPU) compared to 8K7A and give you more realistic temperature.
    Abit NF7-S v2 (Bios 1.4), Barton 2500, Thermalright SLK-900U with Vantec Tornado, Antec Plus 1080 AMG with Antec TrueControl 550 PSU, 2x256 MB Samsung TCB3 DDR PC2700, MS Windows XP Pro SP1, Western Digital WD1200JB, IBM 40GB 60GXP, Lite-on CD-RW 52x24x52

Kaiser - Lapping is manually sanding down the bottom of the hs to make it perfectly flat and smooth. You need a good very flat surface, then use several different types of sand paper (increasingly fine). It should have an almost mirror finish when it is done. I have read that it takes hours to do a good job of it. If you are going to go that route, I would recommend doing a search of this forum for "lapping" I know there are a number of posts where people have discussed the exact technique they have used, and their results.
    Built and Running, now tweaking
    Athlon 1.4/266 non oc (yet)
    KG7 (not lite, not raid) 4J bios
    2 X 256 PC 2100 DDR Crucial Registered
    Barracuda IV 40gig.
    Toshiba DVD,
    Lite On 24X10X40 CD Burner
    Abit Siluro 400T
    Antec SX840, 2 Antec exhaust, 2 Panaflo 47cmf and 1 Sunon 36cfm intake
    MCX370/ASII TT 31cfm, .19A fan (yes, .19)
    40C idle, 45C loaded
    Soundblaster Live 5.1
    Natural Elite, MS Intellimouse Optical
    Using dead IBM 60GXP as an anchor

Vantec CCK-6035

The Vantec is without a doubt the easiest HSF to attach. Performance is like that of the SK-6 but only cost $20-$30. Very nice finished product that requiers NO lapping what so ever. The clip used on this HSF is a dream & is just what you're looking for...
    /\/\UF/-\S/-\
    Windows 7 Ultimate

Kaiser-

The Asaka Silver Mountain is a HS made with terrific quality. It is silver plated, no lapping required. The clip is a dream to use, easy to install. It rates in the top three in a recent review by Powerhungry of ten (10) HSF's.

Powerhungry uses the SM HSF as he has stated on this forum, due to necessity of constantly changing HSF's while testing components for his reviews.

I also agree that the Taisol is easy to install, just doesn't cool as well as the Silver Mountain, and you need to lap it.

Lapping is no big deal, for me, but might be for some. Does not take one hour, takes longer.

Jim L

Main Rig
    Asus P5w DH DX (bios 1503)
    Intel E6600 400x9
    THermalright Ultra 120 with Scythe F 120 mm fan
    2 gigs of G.skill HZ 6400 RAM 1:1 (replacing this shortly D9's fail! (alot)
    EVGA 8800GTS
    WD SATA 250 gig X 2 HD
    PC Power & Cooling 750 watt
    WinXP sp2 Sony HS 94P 19"
    Running strong after 3 years.

Secondary Rig
    ABIT AV8 (bios 16) 252x10
    2 x 512 OCZ EB 3500333 1t-2.5-4-10-4-11-14 -4x
    3500+ Winchester (939) Thermaltake Silentboost K8
    OCZ 520 Watt Powerstream Maxtor 80 gig X 2
    PNY 6800 GT/SONY HS94P Xbrite
    Win XP w/sp1

Another vote for the Silver Mountain. Very easy to install. The clip has a spot for a small screwdriver to fit WITHOUT slipping. I'm very happy with mine.

/me dont know what to do, too damn many

My first question would be: Are you planning on over clocking your system?

Next question: Have you decided on a case yet?

Along with that: Does it have good air flow?

If it doesn't have good flow are you open to doing modifications on the case?

You can have the most efficient HSF in the world, but if you don't have good case cooling it's all wasted. Also, if you're not interested in O/C'ing them that opens up the choices dramatically.

One last thing. What processor are you using? 1.4 Thunderbird or 800 Duron? Makes a big difference.

I've found the Taisol clips very easy to install with the right screwdriver. I've also seen Thermaltake orbs that I wouldn't touch without express consent that if something breaks, it wasn't my fault .
    GET WELL TAZ!!!

Lightbulb Try a CoolerMaster.......

Hey there,

I went with a COOLERMASTER. Not only is this thing very good but it does not have those cheesy
    slit holes for use with a screw driver. This has
    a clip like feature with a lip to give you some
    support when installing it. This helps so you
    or you screw driver does not slip and jab the board. ( I stab at thee ) pun intended. Anyway,
    it is a good HSF, just use some thermal compound.
    I made the mistake of thermal tape. CPU is ok, just hotter than what I wold like. Hope that helps.

Sladeiix980

Take time to do the important things
    today since you may not get a
    tomorrow.

Anytime you give your $0.02 you better have a qtr
    to back it up.