Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Originally posted by raventai
    just a theary on temp drop

with the delta u may be making a venturi
    all that velocity coming out of the dela has a pretty strong foreward momentum and if the gap is not to large not much of it has a chance to escape out the gap, the vacume of the rushing air could also grab some more ambient air and drag it into the heat sink. increase velocity=decrease static (side) presure and increase ram presure. bernoulli's princapal

this would not work as good on other heat sinks with wide fins that have more resistance to air flow or with slower fans that produce lower velocities these two instances u want a seal that will not let the ar out because of low inirtia or high resistance

just a thought with all the veriables and no real math and enginearing we only have trial and error left
    Hmm... in that case, with someone like myself with a TT 31cfm fan, (granted on POS Coolermaster) would there be any possible benefit from partially covering up th sides of the fins, like some fan shrouds do around say an alpha? like :

I redid my Mc462 today. Went and bought a 12" piece of 9/32 aluminum tubing for 69 cents and cut four 1 1/2" lengths. The tubing wall is thin enough so the lower ones fit. With four 3"( 6/32 thread) machine screws this be the parts list for the mod.

The reason I did this in the first place was it just seemed like there is a big dead zone in the middle of the fan. With the 53cfm Sanyo Denki, the hub of the fan is almost 1 1/2" wide. So a 1 1/2" circle right where the cpu contacts gets no air. Now I dont know if that matters or not since the base of the sink is one big chunk of copper.

At some distance away from the fan does the dead zone receive air (ie the air spirals in) or does it simply spiral out never filling the space?

Maybe some of the differences here are pins vs fins?

Better idea this time

Well, the whole old fan duct thing didn't work like I wanted it to. I didn't have any metal tubing like you did, so I got to thinking. I took an 80mm wire fan grill, cut out all but the outside and inside rings, and put in on top of the HS, and then put the fan on with the longer screws and a nut on top of the fan grill holes. It is running the same on temps, but is quieter, and it's not just me going deaf, my girlfriend says it's bearable now. More lovin' for me now. hehehe Thanks Rockstarbob
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...ulation_page=Y

Lian Li PC70 w/Clear Window/Blue Cold Cathodes/Custom Rheobus/Enermax 431watt - Asus A7N8X rev2.0 - XP2000+ - Swiftech MC462/U1A - 512mb pc2100 Crucial - Gainward GeForce4 Ti4400 - Plextor 12x10x32a - Pioneer 16x DVD - Maxtor 200gig 7200rpm 8Mb cache - Samsung 753DF - WIN XP PRO

Originally posted by Tigsman
    Hmm... in that case, with someone like myself with a TT 31cfm fan, (granted on POS Coolermaster) would there be any possible benefit from partially covering up th sides of the fins, like some fan shrouds do around say an alpha? like

maybe?
    it will create more back presure but more of the fin will get used as all the air will have to travel all the way down he fin

only thing u can do is try it and see

I think alpha dose that because of the way they mount thier fans upside down. air aproaches a fan in a semicircle and exits in a tight cone if it did not have the shroud the majority of the air would only pass through the top of the fins

with a down facing fan u have velocity and inirtia on your side making more use of the whole fin top to bottom

give it a try easy enuf to try it with electrical tape try few diffrent heights

P.S. has anyone ever tried a "bell mouth" inlet on a fan? we use them when testing jet engines it is supose to alighn the incoming air inprove preformance and simulate the ram pressure that is present during flight. dought it would make a noticeable diffrece here just wondering

raventai Haven't had physics in a while(hate to think how long) but would it make sense that since the vacumn zone is dependent on the velocity of the flow of air would it make sense that on the SK6 a 30CFM should be raised say 2-4; a 38CFM 6-8 and 57 CFM 8-10.

It would seem that each HSF is going to have different varialbles in relation to flow to vacumn creation and I am just wondering if anybody has tried different heights with different fans on just one type of HSF.

Am getting the SK6 hopefully on Thursday and will be able to try out 60mm fans at 30 and 38 and 45CFM on Saturday.Tom

What is a bell mouth?

bell mouth

like i said dont think it would make much of a diffrence but if someone has something lying arround to try it they may be pleasently suprized

Very nice idea. It would keep the pigeons from being sucked into the Delta also.

Cool, like the old intake stacks on a 60's Grand Prix car!

A_Sr.
    Proud convert to an Apple MacBook Pro!

My Beloved Headphone Rig: Is no more. Started loving speakers so no mo' headphones.

My Speaker Rig: Dual 505-2 Turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Red cart OR Resolution Audio Opus CD Player OR Mac Mini into a Emotiva XDA-1 DAC -> NAD 1600 Preamp -> 1976 Pioneer M-22 Class A Amp -> Tekton Lore Speakers

yes same thing same reason

Originally posted by raventai
    P.S. has anyone ever tried a "bell mouth" inlet on a fan? we use them when testing jet engines it is supose to alighn the incoming air inprove preformance and simulate the ram pressure that is present during flight. dought it would make a noticeable diffrece here just wondering
    I would think not because of 2 reasons. #1, the short distance the air will be traveling and #2, because a bell mouth is supposed to capture air outside the radius of the bell. If you put a fan in front of it going 300mph it would be less efficient then if the bike was traveling 300mph and capturing all the air that it can. just my 2.

p.s. I'll give that tape trick a try.

XariX is offline Last Bastion of odd Info

Question

As much as everyone has asked for them. i am still seeing no pictures of this acclaimed breather mod. Though it's benefits seem great, one guy even gets more lovin'. Maybe some of the site gods could do a How To article. but pictures are a must for some of the less technical users. Side note: Anyone have experience with the vantec CCK-6035d?
    Yar.

CCK-6035D

I've got experience with the Vantec. I've been following this thread & I'll tell you what, if some of these guys had access to a machine shop, I think we as consumers would really benifit from it! Some of you catz have some deep ideas & I feel like that's who us regular joes need to have in the loop as far as development goes... I've gotten to the point where when I take off my case, my temps shoot up so I think my temp battle is over ...oO yeah, The Vantec CCK-6035D ROCKZ!
    /\/\UF/-\S/-\
    Windows 7 Ultimate

Originally posted by XariX
    As much as everyone has asked for them. i am still seeing no pictures of this acclaimed breather mod. Though it's benefits seem great, one guy even gets more lovin'. Maybe some of the site gods could do a How To article. but pictures are a must for some of the less technical users. Side note: Anyone have experience with the vantec CCK-6035d?
    Here is a picture of a Delta 38, on top of the Taisol.
    I hope the picture posts, my first pict post on this site.
    The shims are nylon,12 mm's long. I used drywall screws, the folks at the hardware didn't have any 1 3/4" #6 sheet metal screws. But they had toasters and frying pans?

Anyway, this cost me $1.25 for the shims and the screws.

Hey, if anybody can tell me a little about sizing snaps I sure could use a lesson! LOL At least the detail is nice, I really enjoy the picture element of this computer stuff.

EDIT:
    Done. Special thanks to raventai , for help with picture posting.

Jim L
    Last edited by Sparx; 08-23-2001 at 06:42 PM.

Main Rig
    Asus P5w DH DX (bios 1503)
    Intel E6600 400x9
    THermalright Ultra 120 with Scythe F 120 mm fan
    2 gigs of G.skill HZ 6400 RAM 1:1 (replacing this shortly D9's fail! (alot)
    EVGA 8800GTS
    WD SATA 250 gig X 2 HD
    PC Power & Cooling 750 watt
    WinXP sp2 Sony HS 94P 19"
    Running strong after 3 years.

Secondary Rig
    ABIT AV8 (bios 16) 252x10
    2 x 512 OCZ EB 3500333 1t-2.5-4-10-4-11-14 -4x
    3500+ Winchester (939) Thermaltake Silentboost K8
    OCZ 520 Watt Powerstream Maxtor 80 gig X 2
    PNY 6800 GT/SONY HS94P Xbrite
    Win XP w/sp1