Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Here's my guess as to why it doesn't work as well on an SK-6.

The mod works because on most heatsinks the air hits the fins right out of the Delta. By adding a little space, backflow is reduced and performance increased. The SK-6 already has the fan raised slightly -- the delta doesn't sit on the main fins. When you raise it 13mm to use the other clips you don't see a temp improvement because: 1) you've moved it too far back, and 2) you already have the benefit the mod is supposed to provide.

Chalk it up to good HS design by the folks out at ThermalRight I guess. Again, this is just conjecture, and reasoning for me not to try it on my SK-6 + Delta.
    Last edited by Chang; 09-12-2001 at 08:32 AM.

I don't know if you have had this experience, I and others have, but when I mounted my Silver Mountain, after two days of running my temps dropped from 1-2 degrees C. Kind of a "break-in" if you will.

So, if you left the setup in place, you might want to wait and see if this happens for your.

Jim L

Main Rig
    Asus P5w DH DX (bios 1503)
    Intel E6600 400x9
    THermalright Ultra 120 with Scythe F 120 mm fan
    2 gigs of G.skill HZ 6400 RAM 1:1 (replacing this shortly D9's fail! (alot)
    EVGA 8800GTS
    WD SATA 250 gig X 2 HD
    PC Power & Cooling 750 watt
    WinXP sp2 Sony HS 94P 19"
    Running strong after 3 years.

Secondary Rig
    ABIT AV8 (bios 16) 252x10
    2 x 512 OCZ EB 3500333 1t-2.5-4-10-4-11-14 -4x
    3500+ Winchester (939) Thermaltake Silentboost K8
    OCZ 520 Watt Powerstream Maxtor 80 gig X 2
    PNY 6800 GT/SONY HS94P Xbrite
    Win XP w/sp1

Well I undid the mod without taking off the heatsink from the CPU by switching the fan clips on my SK6. So keeping the ASII constant, I went from mod to no-mod and I get a 3 degree drop as predicted.

So I'm back at 30C idle instead of 33C idle. Big difference if you ask me.

- Jerky.

Mobile Editor - PC Perspective
    Follow me on Twitter

Originally posted by Chang

The mod works because on most heatsinks the air hits the fins right out of the Delta. By adding a little space, backflow is reduced and performance increased. The SK-6 already has the fan raised slightly -- the delta doesn't sit on the main fins. When you raise it 13mm to use the other clips you don't see a temp improvement because: 1) you've moved it too far back, and 2) you already have the benefit the mod is supposed to provide.

Chalk it up to good HS design by the folks out at ThermalRight I guess. Again, this is just conjecture, and reasoning for me not to try it on my SK-6 + Delta.
    this mod was originally done on an SK6 by yours truly and why i started the thread. everyone who tried to use the clips instead of the screws got poorer results, and everyone who backed it off an SK6 farther then 10mm saw no results or worse results.

just things to consider...

Originally posted by Chang

Uh. . . I meant to say an SK-6 with the 38mm clips. That's the ticket!

You're right of course RSB. Guess I can only remember 100 posts back in a thread. The whine from the Delta must be scrambling my brain.

*chuckle*

you got me chang. bein a little too serious for my own good there i think.... latest events and all...

lot of good info here back to the top

by the way bell mouth seams to work http://www.modthebox.com/review107_1.html