Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Originally posted by Talonracer
    Damn you little trick works great on Windows 2000 Advanced Server BUT you totally lose all internet connections. I'm running a NIC card with a cable modem. Yea I removed it in the device manager before I did it also. Darn I either play games or surf the 'net this blows........lol I'm sure there are settings that get messed up but I'm not a Network Admin, the only way to get my internet back is to reinstall Win 2000
    Any luck? I was thinking of trying that since I'm not too hyped about another reinstall. I somehow have 5(!) devices using one IRQ. I've posted it in my thread here .

I assume that I can also use this trick on Windows 2000 Pro. It's been such a pain with random lock ups.

Sig by Ishers of Canucks.com forums.

I'm having a problem with NT apm/legacy...

It says "windows can not initialize the device driver for this hardware"

Any one have any ideas on how to get this working?

Unhappy I'll give it a try...

... but I'm a little worried, I'm running w2k which obviously have no backup/restore except maybe for those "hardware profiles". Anyway I'm gonna copy my default profile and, if the trick fails, try to restore.
    I will post a message when I get this poo on the net again...

Angry Back online

Okay, I have successfully switched to non ACPI on w2k, though it did not solve my problem... It seems Vortex=poo...
    I have experienced problems both with LAN and modem reinstalation (IP reconfiguration and magical dissappearing and appearing of modem connections), though I have physically removed both before doing anything.
    I also had one weird windows boot, when it claimed that there was no enough resources to load my profile. But the next boot was successful... Windows magic...
    Now my only modem, NIC and USB share IRQ (I could not manage to set it differently - lack of free IRQ...), but RAID, sound card and video work on separate IRQs, which is more important to me.
    Oh, and the power off trick didn't work for me, but I will try again.

----------
    Update:
    I have benchmarked the system and (wow!) hard drive PCMark jumped from about 750 to 800! With this I gues I can live with the power button...
    Last edited by Brodat; 04-04-2002 at 03:18 AM.

Deep Slumber, I just tried your ACPI trick and it worked like a charm. Thanks!
    System Specs:
    AMD64 3000
    ABIT NV8 Nforce 4
    Albatron 6600GT
    2X512 Patriot Extreme Performance 3200 DDR
    3 250GB 7200rpm Maxtor Hard Drives
    100GB Diamondmax 16 Maxtor
    52X24X52 LiteOn CDRW
    16X8X4 LiteOn DVD Burner
    Antec Full Tower
    Aerocool Black&Silver Line Aeropower 550watt PSU
    Win XP Pro SP2

Deep Slumber,

Thanks for pulling together the instructions. Last couple days I tried to install a Leadtek Winfast TV 2000 but ran into "...your ACPI BIOS not compliant..."

Ran into a couple of articles on how to disable ACPI but your thread is so far the most complete.

Removed ACPI computer and installed Standard PC from within win2k. The PCI card works like a charm.

Installed the NT/APM/Legacy driver, the PC is on now but would it cure the message "it is safe to shut down your computer" after I reboot? With ACPI on the PC shuts down automatically.

Another question: I have on-board LAN and run into the same problem as you described with the NIC re-installing with the !sign. How can you safely remove and clean reinstall it?

Again thanks.
    System: MSI K9A2 Plat, AM2 6400, 2x2gig G-Skill PC6400, SATA HDs, Pioneer DVD-RW, BFG GE8800GTS-512mb OC, Dell 2407. Linksys WRG54, Lian-Li PC65 w/ CoolerMax 1000 watts

disabling ACPI and Standby mode ?

after disable ACPI..i cannot set to standby mode anymore..is it normal?

and, by your opinion..is this standby mode really useful?

thankss..

Re: disabling ACPI and Standby mode ?

Originally posted by scarred
    after disable ACPI..i cannot set to standby mode anymore..is it normal?

and, by your opinion..is this standby mode really useful?

thankss..
    Yes, it's normal. That what the ACPI does. Is it useful? Sorta, but I've had a few time where my computer wouldn't come out of standby mode.

Sig by Ishers of Canucks.com forums.