Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If you are getting the errors described in the Microsoft article (Q283649), then I would not worry about it. You get these errors because your BIOS does not fully support ACPI. Windows just prevents your BIOS from using ACPI ports. It does not cause problems from what I have seen. Although I have found out that this does not happen when using a AMD South-Bridge Chipset. I have a buddy with a Thunder board and he is the only person I have seeen not get these errors. I have also heard that one of the Intel flavors has full ACPI supprt. That has not been confirmed though. I sure hope that this is something they can fix with a BIOS update.

Sorry to hear about the crap with the SMC. The only thing I can think of is if you did an upgrade before, it might have used part of the driver used by what ever OS you were useing. The NIC could have gone bad so I would test in another machine if possible.

Hope the reinstall goes better.

NOTE: If using the F7 make sure you hit a couple times because there is no indication that you ever hit it. THe only way to tell if it worked is to check Device Manager to see the HAL type.
    HX08 w/ Sparkle 400
    Athlon TB 1.2@1.4
    Swifttech 462a w/ Delta80
    Abit KT7a RAID@133
    512mb Crucial
    IBM 60GXP 40gb
    Plextor 16/10/40
    Pioneer 12x DVD
    Radeon 64 ViVo
    Sound Blaster Live

yep

I was starting to think the F7 trick was a hoax while doing the install last night. I actually started over three times because I kept expecting a message. Then I would see where XP was loading ACPI files, so I didn't think it was working. Alas, when I was finished and clicked to shutdown the computer gave me the "Safe to shutdown" message, and I knew it had worked.
    Thanks for the help.
    -expeditor

AMD 1.4 133FSB
    512 Crucial PC2100 ECC
    SB Audigy Plat EX
    Radeon 64DDR
    WD 40G HD
    Maxtor Fireball 8G
    Sony DVD/CD (Can't get DVD to play)
    Plextor 16/10/40a
    Netgear Ether w/RCA Cable Modem
    PSU 400W

Damn you little trick works great on Windows 2000 Advanced Server BUT you totally lose all internet connections. I'm running a NIC card with a cable modem. Yea I removed it in the device manager before I did it also. Darn I either play games or surf the 'net this blows........lol I'm sure there are settings that get messed up but I'm not a Network Admin, the only way to get my internet back is to reinstall Win 2000

Bump for a good thread here & cheers

Thanks for posting this up. I have been swearing and cursing for the past day and half trying to get my networking working. I must have started over 4 times.
    I figured I would post up what I did, in case somebody else has this god aweful problem. Thanks a ton.

- nrvous

I was Unable to get TCP/IP working properly. Networking appears to install properly, but will not communicate on the network. Network requests are sent to the network, but replies do not come in. I have installed 3 different network cards, from 2 different vendors. I have re-installed WinXP from scratch with each of the network cards installed. I have download latest release drivers from the vendors for these cards. If I sniff the packets on the network, I can see the computer sending requests out. For example, when I enter a static IP address in the card, and ping another computer, I can see the ARP request, and reply, but the reply never gets answered by the problem computer. For this reason, I am unable to obtain a DHCP address.

Windows XP Professional
    Hardware is a ABIT KT7A with an AMD 1Ghz prossessor.
    Network card is now a Linksys LNE100TX, though I have tried a 3com 3c905b-tx and a 3c905-tx.
    I have moved the network card to different slots in the motherboard, in case it was something affecting the PCI slot.

Disable the damn ACPI, and let the OS do the work.

Does this ACPI-deactivation-thing solve the rebooting problem with EPOX 8KHA+ Mobos??????
    THX

it is F5 not F7

just being picky

problems please help

ok.....i hit the f7 and the f5 key during a fresh install of win xp. under computer in device manager it says Standard PC...i still have irq sharing between NVIDIA GeForce3, PCI Audio Device, and PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter, all sharing IRQ 11. the NIC and audio device are both integrated into my motherboard. i am not using raid although i plan to in the future. my problem is when i run internet explorer, and AIM and when i start talking to people my computer freezes and i have to hit the restart button. i don't think it is aim i beleive it is the audio device which plays the sounds for aim. because that device and the display adapter are on the same IRQ 11. sooooooo how do i get them from sharing the same IRQ?

please help....i am very frustrated

Actually F7 is correct. It will automaticly install a Standard PC HAL. F5 will let you choose between all the HAL types that come on the CD or load one from a floppy. So both will work.

Just being Picky too
    HX08 w/ Sparkle 400
    Athlon TB 1.2@1.4
    Swifttech 462a w/ Delta80
    Abit KT7a RAID@133
    512mb Crucial
    IBM 60GXP 40gb
    Plextor 16/10/40
    Pioneer 12x DVD
    Radeon 64 ViVo
    Sound Blaster Live

Hm., sounds good, tried it out, but doesn't work. Maybe you have an idea what i should do:

After having lot of trouble with acpi and installing a soundblaster 4.1, i decided to reinstall win xp. with acpi bios off and pc in standard mode: works fine. After soundblaster start working, i switch the bios to acpi mode again, but never enable it in my device manager ( i dont know why i have done this :-)).
    now i want to installl a firewire controler from d- link and switch acpi in bios off before: installation failed! Installed a clean windows xp on drive d: within this installation the firewire works fine. within my original installation: no chance. my problem: i dont want to have two copies of xp on my machine :-(

i tried everthing in you post ..
    any idea where i turn this f.. acpi REALLY off?
    please help if you can :-))

andreas

ACPI is disabled but i cant change the i/o, memory or irq settings because XP is still getting the automatic settings and i cant disable them
    Last edited by Cipher82; 02-12-2002 at 08:21 AM.

Bump for a helpful thread. Before, with ACPI enabled, I had 3 devices sharing IRQ 3. Now they are all on individual IRQ's.

Moderators please make this a sticky

Please make this thread a sticky.

Not the end of the world, But they sell pictures of it

Unhappy

EDIT: It works fine now!

I did everything as outlined and it all worked but one thing. when my computer shuts down it stops at "you may now turn off your computer". The trick to make it shut down did not work for me. This is on a Epox 8KA7. Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by Soundforbjt; 03-17-2002 at 03:23 AM.
    The Heat 99-0-0

Trading Post Rules

Sound Familiar? "If we quit Vietnam," President Lyndon Johnson warned, "tomorrow we'll be fighting in Hawaii, and next week we'll have to fight in San Francisco."

How did you get it work? (shutdown)

There's a yellow circle (!) at the front of the NT Apm/Legacy Interface Node. The message says:

"Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)"

I also have those yellow dots at the front of the Primary Ide Channel & Secondary Ide Channel.. (code 12)

Any ideas??