Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry What the hell is classpnp.sys and why is it being a bitch?!

I ran a bugcheck analyzer on my memory crash dump and it says that classpnp.sys is the culprit. What the hell is classpnp.sys and what does it do? And, why is it being a bitch?

pardon my french, I'm just a little pissed off at my #1 cruncher right now.

that file seems to have something to do with SCSI devices... do you have a SCSI card or possibly an IDE controller, like Promise or something?
    Dave
    Retired Dictator

5 miles south of Old Traffford. Home to the great Man U
    I haven't a clue

this might help, hopefully ... best I could come up with

<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q281672">http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q281672</a>

Well, It was worth a shot enfer, I don't have write cache enabled (nor is available).

n715dp, I have a KG7-RAID with the highpoint hpt370 RAID controller built in.

This is killing me guys. I have searched and searched and I can't find anyone with the exact same problem.

{sigh}

if you aren't using the RAID, try and disable it in the BIOS. If that is not an option, disable it in the device manager.
    Dave
    Retired Dictator

What would be the point of paying extra for a RAID motherboard if you aren't going to use the raid?

ok mr smarty pants, I was merely giving you an option to try and fix your problem
    Dave
    Retired Dictator

5 miles south of Old Traffford. Home to the great Man U
    http://www-4.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/...7p0sertips.htm

is the next page for you to have a look at. Do a search on the page for the word class will probably be the quickest way to find the relevant part since it's right at the bottom of the page. I'm assuming what they say is not only applicable to IBM drives

Originally posted by n715dp
    ok mr smarty pants, I was merely giving you an option to try and fix your problem
    People in glass houses...

enfer: I really appreciate your help man. unfortunately, that link also seems to be a dead end.

I am going to try copying a classpnp.sys from the wife's comp.

I won't see any immediate results because the malfunction only occurs after seti starts a new wu.

Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪
    Originally posted by PAEricksen
    I have searched and searched and I can't find anyone with the exact same problem.{sigh}
    Hey! That just means you're Special!!

Course, we already knew that, 'nStuff

Thinking of the Forest Gump movie?

Momma always said microsoft was like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!

I hate to point that out again but if Seti crashes right when it starts a new WU, the load on the CPU and memory seems to be the highest.

This means that there is a stability issue with the machine.

-Set all memory timings in BIOS to safest and run at clock speed. Does it still go BSOD on you?
    -Use another and only one single stick of memory. If its OK you have a memory fault.
    -Run Windows in Safe mode. If its OK there is a chance of a driver incompatibility.

Killeroy.

From Windows Ressources Toolkit

Class drivers for disk, tape, CD-ROM, and changer devices make use of the classpnp.sys library, a system-supplied DLL that contains a collection of operating system-specific, device-independent routines.

Most system-supplied storage class drivers provide a set of key routines similar to routines found in the classpnp.sys library. This is done so that their miniclass drivers can call class driver routines instead of making direct calls to classpnp.sys. This shields the miniclass drivers from changes to the classpnp.sys DDI.

Windows 2000 changer miniclass drivers are an exception to this rule, because in Windows 2000 the changer class driver does not provide miniclass drivers with a facility for calling the classpnp.sys routines indirectly. Thus, in Windows 2000, changer miniclass drivers must either call the classpnp.sys routines directly or call equivalent routines in line. Miniclass drivers that call classpnp.sys routines directly must link to the classpnp.sys library statically, swelling the size of the driver. If a driver dynamically links to classpnp.sys, changes to this library in subsequent releases might cause the driver to malfunction.

In Windows XP and later operating systems, several of the most important services formerly provided by direct calls to the classpnp.sys library are provided by the changer class driver. Therefore, in Windows XP and later operating systems, it is usually unnecessary for changer miniclass drivers to call classpnp.sys library routines directly.

Classpnp.sys is so a front end to access your storage devices independantly of the OS.
    It's mainly used by services as journalisation, bugtracers, etc.

In a word, I should say a driver in your setup has some weakness (Happened b.e. with some old SCSI drivers) when called by a service and the cpu is overloaded.

Of course, that won't help you a lot.
    Did you try to make a clean reinstall of the OS (Ok, I know, not an easy decision neither an easy task) ?

I'd have a look at your HDs, floppies and CDROMs. Maybe the master/slave settings are not perfect ?

Good point OldFrog,
    perhaps there is a mishap with certain applications that usually DO NOT run on my machine:
    -"Real Time" File System protection anti viral SW.
    -"Packet CD" or "InCD" type incremental CD writing SW.

Killeroy.