man, do i have a treat for you guys !!!!!

at another forum someone posted a link to a site that supposedly has a program he installed that he said dropped his cpu temp on his amd 14c. i went there and downloaded it.....110k and it's dirt simple. it takes advantage of something thats already built into certain chipsets. i'm not to sure about all this, as i'm a newbie to hardware issues.
    anyway, i was skeptical, but i tried it. i swear to god, my cpu temp went down 14c just like he said, in about 1 minute, and has been there for 1/2 hour now!!!! i'm still having a hard time believing this is real!! it tells you the temp, but i think it's inacurate..... it's showing 28c right now. however, my other cpu prog, "hardware sensors monitor" is showing 30c.

oh, and it's freeware !!!! heres the link.....
    http://www.naggelgames.de/vcool/VCool.html

by the way, while im not quite sure how it works, i do know this....on the site it says that it does have a cost.........it can cause problems with some things like playing videos. however, you can simply disable it instantly when you want to use something that it causes problems with by simply right clicking the tray icon and toggling "NB Cool Bit" on or off. turn it off and watch the temp rise quickly ! so the glitches with video or whatever are no problem. you can read all about that on the site. as for what chipsets are supported, you should find that there too. i wasn't sure if mine was being new to all this, but it's kicking ass on my system. at this moment im at 29c !!! i still cant believe this !!!

-dale

wow........i'm really blown away. i thought there would be a stack of responces to this raving about it. i read about all the tricks here on installing watercoolers, cutting holes and installing fans, arctic paste, and a million other things to cool your cpu, and most only add an extra couple degrees cooler. so i though you'd all be going nuts over this program. has it been a topic here before and theres something about it i should know? all i know is it's just freakin amazing, and i'm even more amazed no one here, the one place where cooling is king, has even replied. wierd. oh well.......

-dale

Vcool has been around for a while now. I use it my self and am very satisfied with the results. I have not had any problems or conflicts since I installed it.

could it POSSIBLY MAYBE be that it's just an innacurate reading?

duh.
    My Rig "Only Child"

Koolance PC-2
    Mobo, Vid, 2xHD Coolers
    Enermax 431w Whisper (with adjustable fan speed, 2 fans)
    Asus A7V266-E with 6channel sound and RAID
    AthlonXP 1900+
    Visiontek GeForce 3 Ti500
    3x Mushkin High Performance 512MB PC2100 Ram
    3Com NIC with 3XP Processor
    Maxtor ATA133 Controller Card (For IDE expansion & using 60GB drive on other PCs)
    2x40GB IBM 60GXP (RAID0)
    60GB IBM 60GXP (IDE1)
    Sony 52x (IDE2 Master)
    Plextor 24/10/40x (IDE2 Slave)
    Teac 1.44MB Floppy Drive
    Sony 19" G400 Monitor
    Creative Inspire 5300 5.1 Speakers
    Windows XP Professional
    Windows 2000 Professional
    3xSingle Connector Round Silver IDE Cable
    Double Connector Round Silver IDE Cable
    Single Connector Round Silver Floppy Cable
    Arctic Alumina Thermal Paste

no...........how would that account for the fact that another program i have, "hardware sensors monitor" also shows the low temp? believe me, i already thought about all that. and the temp rises as you do very cpu intensive tasks. do you think someone sat there and wrote a program that actually follows cpu usage and spits out false temp readings that follow the amount of usage thats happeneing...........AND, it also makes other monitor programs you have on your machine read the same lower temp, AND follow cpu usage just as the Vcool prog does? thats just a little less far fetched than batman.

-dale

i think t9d

just meant maybe the program was making the sensor send erroneus info something like a voltage mod tricks the mobos voltage regulator to increase v core
    maybe?
    Gigabyte 990XA-UD3/8 Gigs Corsair Vengence CMZ8GX3M2A1
    PHENOM II 4 CORE 955 Black Edition/Antec-Kuhler 920
    KINGSTON64 GB SSD hdd
    LG Litescribe sata BD/DVD/CD Burner
    RADEON HD 6870, LG 34" & Acer 23" monitors plus 42 plasma
    ANTEC EarthPower 750W psu, Creative SB X-FI Extreme Music
    Logitech 5500 spkrs

Vool on WIN2K server???

Tried installing vcool on WIN 2000 server, and get an error it can't find file.

Than I tried to install it manual, and get an error "unexpected error".

Any suggestions??
    Flying Dutchman

there is a forum at the vcool website where you can surely get an answer. martin, the author of vcool answers a lot of the posts himself. lots of great info there.

One thing to remember, Vcool or any other program like that, just idles the CPU. If you are running SETI, or UD like I am, you CPU is at 100% all the time and the program will make no difference whatsoever.
    Plus, I would rather have my electronics at a more constant temp, rather than heating/cooling cycles.
    To each his own.

agreed..........but if you aren't doing cpu intensive stuff all the time.........well, you get the idea. my usage is probably 97% surfing and such. i do audio, graphics, and video, but when i do it's usually a few hours at a time once every week or 2. i wouldn't be doing 10 min intensive tasks, then 10 surfing, then back, and so forth.

as for the the idea that you wouldn't want the up and down temps, i wondered about that myself. i was thinking about posting and asking opinions on that. i began to think about the possibility that having your cpu go from 30c to 45c numerous times could be damaging in the long run, tho as i said i don't typically do it that way. then again, it's probably more likely that it won't hurt it by the time you're ready to upgrade. in other words, it seems to me that it would likely take a few years for the temp changes to finally damage the cpu, and before that happened you'd probably be upgrading anyway. and even if you weren't about to upgrade, by then even my xp 1.3 would likely cost about $40-50.

so i guess i'm willing to take a chance for now. i'll see how i feel in a few weeks. but from what i've read, temperature plays a large part in stability, and if i get a lot less crashes it will be well worth buying a new cpu every few years, which as i said we all seem to do anyway just to keep up with the times.

it's a lot to consider, and it really gets down to nit picking. i have a lot more important things to worry about, and in that context the benefits seem to far outweigh the risk.

-dale

I found VCool about a month ago and posted something in here about it. As far as the temps being accurate, I would say they are as close to anything else I have to measure it with. My MB came with the standard MB monotiring tool as well as the CPU temp in the BIOS. VCool shows the same thing, but some may need to fiddle with it to get it to read the correct sensor. If I remember correctly, it will either work as it should or it will return hell fire readings in the area of 99C. In my opinion it's a keeper.

My temps fluctuate about 10-12 degrees from surfing to gaming.

Regarding the Win2k problem, there are specific instructions in their FAQ at their site that must be followed in order to get it to work. I believe ver 1.7 must be installed first, then the files from 1.8 need to be c'd&p'd over them.

R
    Never deprive someone of hope... it may be the only thing they have.

i hav been using Vcool for quite some time now... the drop in temperature is real... coz how do u account for temperature reading in the BIOs itself ??

the same permanent effects can be made by modifying the northbridge internal instructions......

heatware = cheequen