Hybrid View

After cleaning case with air

After blowing out the case with compressed air ( about 40 psi)
    the cpu temps dropped to about 50c but a day or two later the cpu temps went to 60c and shut down the system.
    I'm running
    1 gig athlon 100 fsb
    chrome orb
    superpower case
    fans front and cpu
    This case always ran 50c to 55c ( not the best)
    power supply sits in front of cpu ( not the best airflow)
    My question is could i have dislogded the heatsink/fan on cpu?
    it seems to be attached firmly to cpu. I have no experience with applying heatsink compound ..any links to the procedure would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Nova6

#1, yes its possible you dislodged the HSF it you banged around the system too much.

As for temps.. you show fans in front in ur post. Unless you have fans in back.. the only output of air you have is the power supply. Did you unplugg your system from the wall and blow out your PSU too?

proper installation procedures for Thermal compound can be found @ www.arcticsilver.com

T

Chrome Orb is your main problem. I have one and it sucks!!! Especially if you have no air flow around it(like haveing a PS in front of it). The only way i get any performance out of mine is to have a high CFM fan blowing at it, but this isn't an option if your PS is in front of it. Reapply a thin layer of thermal compound and hope for the best. The Chrome Orb really shouldn't be put on a T-bird.