Thread: The Boinc Bar!

Re: The Boinc Bar!

Morning!

Mmmm, breakfast sounds good. Eggs, bacon, and toast will do for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JokerCPoC View Post
    I know someone here drives(UB?), But what do You all do? Just curious.
    I wear too many hats!

Actually, my background is in Mechanical Engineering. I'm not an Engineer, but I'm a Mechanical Engineering Technologist. Which means, I really could do anything an engineer could do, but I can't stamp anything as being guaranteed to work so I don't have the same liability.

I was hired to help out with machine design. Yet back then our company only had about 10-15 people, so a lot of my different talents became useful. So any day I can be doing anything from 3D CAD designing, to computer programming, to system administration, to quality control, to shop floor assembly, robotic welding, to on-site field service (whether it's normal maintenance work, or trying to diagnose and solve some problem one of our machines we've built may be having), or like last night, I was on site laying down flooring on a specialized mezzanine that our customer is going to use for assembling their jet turbines (these turbines are the size of large rail cars).

I have no carpentry skills at all. And this is the first time we've used a product like this flooring. But I think it's going together quite well. I've also got this thing about heights. Ok, actually I have an inner ear issue that gets messed up when I'm walking on the beams (my hearing been poor from birth and this is all tied together, yet I don't need hearing aids). It's not very high, but still. Yet I'm still the first one to go up and walk around. I can't expect to tell someone else to do something unless I'm willing to do it myself. I'm supervising a crew this week...all three of us!

The best thing about my job. I don't know what I'm going to be doing next week.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
    Damn, T, that sucks. I've seen that firsthand and it's not fun at all. My thought & stuff are with your mom in law.

Man, it's gonna be a good blow today. Some real riproarin Fall weather. about 6" rain in 3 days inland, winds up to 60 mph out on the water! Batten down the hatches, mateys

Fluff is a driver, Joker. I'm a supervisor at an LPG storage control room.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelmores View Post
    i repair gauges and electronics for industry...... sit at a workbench all day dreaming about computer hardware!

used to sit in a control room..... a floating one...... but it wasn't a job, it was an adventure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    I wear too many hats!

Actually, my background is in Mechanical Engineering. I'm not an Engineer, but I'm a Mechanical Engineering Technologist. Which means, I really could do anything an engineer could do, but I can't stamp anything as being guaranteed to work so I don't have the same liability.

I was hired to help out with machine design. Yet back then our company only had about 10-15 people, so a lot of my different talents became useful. So any day I can be doing anything from 3D CAD designing, to computer programming, to system administration, to quality control, to shop floor assembly, robotic welding, to on-site field service (whether it's normal maintenance work, or trying to diagnose and solve some problem one of our machines we've built may be having), or like last night, I was on site laying down flooring on a specialized mezzanine that our customer is going to use for assembling their jet turbines (these turbines are the size of large rail cars).

I have no carpentry skills at all. And this is the first time we've used a product like this flooring. But I think it's going together quite well. I've also got this thing about heights. Ok, actually I have an inner ear issue that gets messed up when I'm walking on the beams (my hearing been poor from birth and this is all tied together, yet I don't need hearing aids). It's not very high, but still. Yet I'm still the first one to go up and walk around. I can't expect to tell someone else to do something unless I'm willing to do it myself. I'm supervising a crew this week...all three of us!

The best thing about my job. I don't know what I'm going to be doing next week.
    Interesting jobs. SP We could call You Scottys apprentice. Ok You all have Your own talents, That just all happen to have PCs as a backup.

In any case Good morning Frogs and Frogettes. Ribbit.

Sorry UB, Fluff, I have depression, concentration and anxiety problems, That and some serious physical ones too.

Sorry Joker - I missed this one

I know someone here drives(UB?), But what do You all do? Just curious.
    I try to do as little as possible. At the moment, I'm excelling in my chosen profession, but it won't last

I started out as a scientist, designing making and testing anti-cancer drugs. I've done some system admin stuff (Windows and *nix), taught science to (supposedly) intelligent people and computer related stuff to dummies, and done some lecturing and private consultancy on computer security. Right now I'm an over-qualified house-husband and I send Mrs Slider out to work

~ Want to try Linux - check out the PC Perspective Linux FAQ ~
    ~ Please take some time to read the Forum Rules ~
    ~ Feed the spamb0tz, don't mail me here: B7Trz4568254@nirvana.admins.ws ~

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    Sorry Joker - I missed this one

I try to do as little as possible. At the moment, I'm excelling in my chosen profession, but it won't last

I started out as a scientist, designing making and testing anti-cancer drugs. I've done some system admin stuff (Windows and *nix), taught science to (supposedly) intelligent people and computer related stuff to dummies, and done some lecturing and private consultancy on computer security. Right now I'm an over-qualified house-husband and I send Mrs Slider out to work
    Ok, So Your not quite Werner von Braun.

Of course I'm no dummie when It comes to PCs Myself, But then I started in the computer world back in 1980 with an Atari 400 w/an upgraded keyboard, 64k ram(max amount then and for a 6502c cpu) and a 410 cassette recorder for storage(pre-internet as I didn't even have a 300baud external modem then). And I progressed from there.

Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
    Fluff is a driver, Joker. I'm a supervisor at an LPG storage control room.
    Fluff is also a photographer...

My other 'hat' is a live-in caregiver for my parents; my step-father has Diabetes, lost his legs. I do around here anything that he can't and provide emotional support for both. I can understand what you are going through, Thelmores. The process of losing the legs started out with a simple bed-sore; nothing so heavy as kidney failure.

Ugly 30 weeks there; he spent 19 in IC or the bug suit room.

My prayers for you and your family... and although you probably don't think you deserve it, you have my quiet heartfelt obeisance for even just being there 'nStuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluff n Stuff View Post
    Fluff is also a photographer...

My other 'hat' is a live-in caregiver for my parents; my step-father has Diabetes, lost his legs. I do around here anything that he can't and provide emotional support for both. I can understand what you are going through, Thelmores. The process of losing the legs started out with a simple bed-sore; nothing so heavy as kidney failure.

Ugly 30 weeks there; he spent 19 in IC or the bug suit room.

My prayers for you and your family... and although you probably don't think you deserve it, you have my quiet heartfelt obeisance for even just being there 'nStuff.
    Care giver, I did that for My Mom and My Brother, So I know what that's like.

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    Morning!

Mmmm, breakfast sounds good. Eggs, bacon, and toast will do for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay See Bee View Post
    mornin' all

Where is my breakfast scruff?
    Interesting jobs. SP We could call You Scottys apprentice. Ok You all have Your own talents, That just all happen to have PCs as a backup.

In any case Good morning Frogs and Frogettes. Ribbit.

Sorry UB, Fluff, I have depression, concentration and anxiety problems, That and some serious physical ones too.
    Spankin Partier send me your address and i`ll send you a Mc Puke`s breakfest coupon. Jay See Bee your`s is going out shortly.

And Joker my current profession is that i`m a Production Associate(laborer). I build seats for GM(Equinox and Torrent), and Susuki(XL-7). I was going to go for a CGA, but the auto industry came along and paid very good. So here i am.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    Right now I'm an over-qualified house-husband and I send Mrs Slider out to work
    Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    4GB Corsair PC6400
    ATI X1650 Pro

evenin' all
    Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    4GB Corsair PC6400
    ATI X1650 Pro

Evenin` Jay See Bee, and all. It`s a good day here. How was your`s everybody.

pretty good

That breakfast was a little cold but very good scruff
    Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    4GB Corsair PC6400
    ATI X1650 Pro

Hey fluff, i took your advise and this is what i`m picking up.

Canon Rebel XTi with EF-S 17-85MM F4-5.6 IS USM LENS
    CANON EF-S 60MM 2.8 MACRO USM LENS
    CANON EF 75-300MM/4-5.6 USM II/III AF

What do you think?

Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪

How you doin' up there, UB? Your new place handling the water ok? I heard the call for sandbaggers up there this evening... water is gonna flood downtown pretty heavily.

Rain's been comin' down for a week up here in the PNW... not heavy, but enough to saturate the ground. Now in a region that thinks .5" is a serious rainfall that may start local flooding we have a storm that is just relentless in the rainfall... Bellingham's gettin' like a half inch PER HOUR, and this is gonna go on for another 36 hours or so!

I'm between Renton and Sea-Tac Int'l, and we've gotten more rain in the last 12 hours than we had all October 'nStuff.

Gonna be interesting in the morning... and I just can't TELL you how happy I am that I'm off 'till Wednesday!

Well, sandman is calling. Night all.