Question To Fold or not to Fold that is the question

So this team protein folding is basically like SETI but we could very well be helping find a cure for say Cancer...Is this correct?

If that is correct, I would much rather donate all my extra cycles to this cause as it has a tangible outcome (hopefully with time)

Quite frankly my wife didn't get the whole SETI idea. LOL
    After upgrading the computer and crunchin at an alarming rate she got it. As far as she's concerned it's a testosterone thing...who has the biggest....computer.LOL And she is correct...to a point.

This though I think she'll understand as both of us have lost our Mom's to the Big C word.

So I guess this is good-bye SETI hello Folding.

My only concern is that the info that I crunch will turn out the same as the diabeties feasco. Were the pharmacutical the found the cure for 70% of all diabeties, realized they could make more money selling insullin than curing. So we still have all the people dieing from diabeties.

They will make money with pr without you (It needed 10 years to have them sell low-priced HIV medics in Africa and there are still thousands people dying there).

But at least I hope our "effort" (rather my rig's effort) will help universities to have a better knowledge about all this, and maybe find way to cure.

Thumbs up

About donating your spare clock-cycles....here is why i fold and why i asked Ryan to found this Team:

Diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, cystic fibrosis, CJD (Mad Cow disease), an inherited form of emphysema, and even many cancers are believed to result from protein misfolding.
    We would be happy to have you join the <B>Folding Frogs</B> !!!
    LARS

How I wish we had started this team a month ago
    I have 700+ points elsewhere and they cannot be moved.....

Anyway, I have personal reasons to run folding@home.
    It's results are for university research and not corporate profit.

I still run seti also, but am glad we now have a choice!

Thumbs up

Originally posted by tazfann
    How I wish we had started this team a month ago
    I have 700+ points elsewhere and they cannot be moved.....

Anyway, I have personal reasons to run folding@home.
    It's results are for university research and not corporate profit.

I still run seti also, but am glad we now have a choice!
    And might i just add that you're really kicking serious butt for the Team...WTG !!!
    LARS

OK I'm up and running with the Folding deal as well.
    I haven't noticed any speed decrease when crunching seti WUs. I still managed 3 WU overnight.

I am wondering how long it takes to crunch a folding wu though.
    On the chart under WU progress it says 8/100 does this mean that it took like 9 hours to crunch 8%..OMG!!!Thats a special kind of slow if that's the case! Or am I doing something wrong?

Originally posted by Steve-62
    I haven't noticed any speed decrease when crunching seti WUs. I still managed 3 WU overnight.

On the chart under WU progress it says 8/100 does this mean that it took like 9 hours to crunch 8%..OMG!!!Thats a special kind of slow if that's the case! Or am I doing something wrong?
    If you Try to run both simultaneously, then seti steals all the clock
    cycles and it takes a long time to complete a folding wu. Both
    are vying for the same cpu time I'm afraid.

Originally posted by Steve-62

You might want to dedicate your rig for either SETI or Folding.....or simply alternate between them like i do.
    Running them at the same time on a rig will completely slow down the Folding Client and it might take a week or so to complete a WU.

Also...make sure you have it configured with your name (nickname) and Team number 734 (Amdmb.com Folding Team) !
    LARS

We need to come up with some do's and don't!!!

For example:

DO NOT change the speed of you CPU while in the middle of a unit or it will start over with a new one!!!! Overclocking daily is not recommended as you will have to start a new unit everytime you change something. At least it did that to me all day yesterday before a gave up on it on that computer.

DO babysit the program if you do not have a dedicated full time ISP because there is no caching program and you will need to log on to send and receive every time a unit is done. Which sucks if a unit is done in the middle of the night and you loose 6 hrs because it cannot send/recieve untill you log on the next morning!!!

DO make sure you cooling is up to the task!!! This program runs hotter than SETI by 3-5C on my computers.

Stuff like that.

You're Right Jaydee.
    The folding client is being updated since it works best with
    computers that have permanent internet connections.

The reason there is currently no cache system is the next
    workunit you get is or can be determined by the results
    of the workunit you are presently crunching. It's very
    time dependent and they need constant results to create
    new tests.

I noticed a month ago when I started folding that this process
    pushes the cpu harder than seti. Temps will be higher.
    Not a problem tho for any of us

Originally posted by tazfann

I noticed a month ago when I started folding that this process
    pushes the cpu harder than seti. Temps will be higher.
    Not a problem tho for any of us
    Water seems to do just fine!!!

Originally posted by Champsters
    My only concern is that the info that I crunch will turn out the same as the diabeties feasco. Were the pharmacutical the found the cure for 70% of all diabeties, realized they could make more money selling insullin than curing. So we still have all the people dieing from diabeties.

Both Folding and Genome projects publish their information on their website and are run strictly on a non-profit basis. I believe their is another distributed computing project which is aimed more at cancer research, but some people are put off this because of copyright issues (I dont know the details and i am not 100% on all this). My advice would be to look around other sites first and have a read what others say before making your choice.