Bah what is this FOLDING??!?!

Topic says it all... i just startup with this seti stuff to help find lil green men, and what are we looking for now? i hope folding means were trying to find Super Models in outerspace or something

Finding cures for cancer.

You know I was thinking about it. Using Seti and finding ET could be even more important. If we found an alien world perhaps we could borrow their technology to cure all disease. Then again, we may find a world where geeks are sitting in front of their comps running a program similiar to Seti and thinking the same thing.

Earth: "Thank God we found you !!"

Alien World: "Yes, we have been searching for you for 20 years."

Earth: "Quick, please give us the technology to cure our disease and clean our atmosphere !!"

Alien World: (a pregnant pause) "Umm .. you mean your not that advanced? Dammit !! (yelling to their "pond") "Ok guys, wrong one. Crank Seti back up."

Soltek K890Pro-939
    AMD64 3200+ Venice@2.77 Ghz
    MSI 6600GT PCI-E
    G.Skill PC3200 Dual Channel 1gb

Sorry but folding@home and Genome@home are MUCH more worthwile projects than SETI, I'm only running SETI currently becuase folding will not work on my work computer and my home computer is not on long enough to make it worthwile (and I have a modem connection at home so with no caching ability it's even less worthwhile).

With SETI even if we do detect a ET signal, you need al can be anywhere from a couple of days to millions of years old (depending on how many light years away the signal originated). Heck a radio signal from mars takes 20 minutes to reach earth. If we do detect something it will not lead to a sudden connection with an alien civilization. It will just let us know that we are not alone. Beyond that there is little to do to establish contact. A return signal will take the same amount of time to reach the origin of the alien signal as well and then, we have no method of space transportation to reach any place outside of the moon or mars within a plausible time frame for humans.

With Folding and Genome@Home we may actually help find a cure for cancer or other genetic diseases or at the least find ways to help prevent or to prolong the life of patients with these diseases.

Of course, we still need people crunching SETI to crush the teams ahead of us as wel!

CRunch on SETItian's and Folder's!

Originally posted by asmolenski
    Sorry but folding@home and Genome@home are MUCH more worthwile projects than
    Depends on how you look at it and your personal thoughts. I think SETI is more worth my time. But I am doing both.

N of Monkee Junction, Southeastern North Carolina

Question

THIS Folding, if doable and practical, seems worthwhile..

other projects- outwardly similar- have been the center of controversy.......I had ZERO interest in them.......

SeTI, on the otherhand-- however geeky and debatably {useful/ sci-fi }
    has become the vehicle whereby I've learned SOMETHING about SOMETHING, becoming far more useful, capable, or ..?
    [ transformed- is probly a good term ],
    due to my fortune in finding these people at these forums ...

Eldest_One is directly responsible for THAT..

" All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing."-
    Edmund Burke

" Crunch Away! But, play nice .."
    --RagingSteveK's mom

---

Actually, I should have been clearer in my post as well. I made it sound liek SETI won't help in much beyond learning what's out there. However, it's also now being used to learn about other astronimcal features such as black holes, hydrogen in the universe, etc. etc. So it is serving a scientific purpose as well.

I always thought that medicine is much more experimental then theoretical. It is new to me that computer can create drugs for human beings. OMG! You live to learn.

N of Monkee Junction, Southeastern North Carolina
    I know less about bio -stuff that any mildly- educated person should...

there were notions expressed- yrs ago, that people with bio / math/ computer abilities would be v. useful...
    one would guess that molecular design, investigation, or the possibilities are greatly enhanced thru hardware enhancements which bode well for increeased software capabilities...

someone pointed out that today's desktop PC pack more of a punch than the 1st -generation Cray's...that was before XP's...

be nice to hear from a molecular biologist, or pharmaceutically-involved organic/ polymer chemist..

{who in his time grooves on fast PC's / Tbirds/ Xp's of course-- he's picked up that much --on the fly.. to impart some 1st- hand experience }
    Last edited by SloNoMo; 12-24-2001 at 12:16 PM.