Let Me Know When......................

.........there is a cache utility for Folding@Home.

I had done some folding before I started crunching Seti. Without a cache utility it was too much of a pain as I normally work away all week and I only have dialup.

I had stumbled into Amdmb.com last spring when I was trying to get my first AMD computer to run cooler than what it was and I seen what was going on with SETI here. With the team spirit and our two rules I was compelled to give it a try and I was promptly hooked.

I too have reasons why I would fold and I think most of us do.

So as soon as there will be some sort of a cache utility I will be folding again.

Re: Let Me Know When......................

Originally posted by Fl@me
    .........there is a cache utility for Folding@Home.

I had done some folding before I started crunching Seti. Without a cache utility it was too much of a pain as I normally work away all week and I only have dialup.

I had stumbled into Amdmb.com last spring when I was trying to get my first AMD computer to run cooler than what it was and I seen what was going on with SETI here. With the team spirit and our two rules I was compelled to give it a try and I was promptly hooked.

I too have reasons why I would fold and I think most of us do.

So as soon as there will be some sort of a cache utility I will be folding again.
    I don't think they will ever have a caching utility as the next workunityou receive depends on the result of the one you just crunched. So it would make it difficuly and possibly impossible for them to be able to cache units. Sorry to say. That's also the reason I'm not folding. My 56K just makes it too hard to do.

The comraderie was the hook for me. Love it here.
    "We share half our genes with the banana. This is a fact more evident in some of my acquaintances than others." - Robert Mays

Re: Re: Let Me Know When......................

Originally posted by asmolenski

I don't think they will ever have a caching utility as the next workunityou receive depends on the result of the one you just crunched. So it would make it difficuly and possibly impossible for them to be able to cache units. Sorry to say. That's also the reason I'm not folding. My 56K just makes it too hard to do.
    Maybe there will be............... Taz was saying in another link that they are working on it and he has a prototype of it running ....
    the Britgeezer

My Heat otherwise a smoke free home

Re: Re: Let Me Know When......................

Originally posted by asmolenski

That just dosn't make since. Even if you cache your units you will still be sending and reciving the same way. Each unit you send in will still get a unit sent back depending on those results no matter how many units you cache. You send 10 units, each unit when it uploads a new one will still be based on the last so how it sending and recieving multiple units any different that sending and recieving one unit at a time? The biggest problem I see is most units only have a 3-5 day lifespan before it is discarded and sent to someone else. I have to crunch for 2-3 weeks at a time between dumps sometimes when I am on the road for work.

Re: Re: Re: Let Me Know When......................

Originally posted by jaydee116

That just dosn't make since. Even if you cache your units you will still be sending and reciving the same way. Each unit you send in will still get a unit sent back depending on those results no matter how many units you cache. You send 10 units, each unit when it uploads a new one will still be based on the last so how it sending and recieving multiple units any different that sending and recieving one unit at a time? The biggest problem I see is most units only have a 3-5 day lifespan before it is discarded and sent to someone else. I have to crunch for 2-3 weeks at a time between dumps sometimes when I am on the road for work.
    You express the point well - Seti works so well because they made it easy for the user ............ Stamford will need to learn that too. I think once they understand the extra WU volume they can generate by this action the balance between instantly linked WU's and the same WU sent out multiple times will be better understood.
    the Britgeezer

My Heat otherwise a smoke free home