New to folding...

So... I've joined the folding@home team. I downloaded the graphical version (dont try to get me to download the command version dont want it) and noticed it just sits there. Is it crunching the whole time its in the task tray, or just the screensaver? I ran 3dmark 2k1 and didnt notice any difference. What kind of priority mode is it running in? To join the amdmb team, i just enter 734 in the configuration box? And how long should it take to complete a wu? I assume one is completed when it reaches 100/100 wu's? Sorry for all the questions. And sorry to the seti team for abandoning after 4 woos.

The command line version will only sit there if you have another program eating up your cycles. It uses ONLY spare cycles. If you have SETI running with the folding client, SETI will take about 98% of your cycles, making the folding client seem like its doing nothing.

Welcome.....either team is glad to have you!
    Not sure about the screensaver version.....

It would be slower than the cl.......
    By default, folding runs at low priority. By the way the 'core'
    is developed, any other intensive cpu proggie will slow it
    down. I'm manually upped the priority on mine, but that is
    with win2k and CL version.

From what I'm seeing.....
    On the CL version.....

1.5GHz.......4 hours to complete wu
    1.0GHz.......8 hours to complete wu

Thats just a guideline.....yours may differ slightly.

Re: New to folding...

Originally posted by cjh6386
    So... I've joined the folding@home team. I downloaded the graphical version (dont try to get me to download the command version dont want it) and noticed it just sits there. Is it crunching the whole time its in the task tray, or just the screensaver? I ran 3dmark 2k1 and didnt notice any difference. What kind of priority mode is it running in? To join the amdmb team, i just enter 734 in the configuration box? And how long should it take to complete a wu? I assume one is completed when it reaches 100/100 wu's? Sorry for all the questions. And sorry to the seti team for abandoning after 4 woos.
    I ran the graphic version before converting to CL its works fine and is very easy to configure so I understand your comment.

You will hear mostly CL comments from us because its faster and also doesn't hit performance - but if you don't want to use it that's OK your welcome to fold anyway you want!

1. I think it only runs in screensaver mode, so set your screen saver to 2-3 minutes and you should see the folding screen come up - your good to go.
    2. Yes just enter 734 (+ email) and when you COMPLETE your 100 frames and therefore a WU you will be entered into our team.
    3. 8-16 hours depending on how much you use the PC!, folding WU's do take longer than Seti and unlike Seti they have a limited time to crunch. If you don't get it done within about 3 days the WU is too old.
    4. If you are on dial up this can be a problem but its possible to configure to dial up and drop out again.

Most of us are W2K or XP with always on Internet access so the CL version is easy to configure and runs in the background without giving us a performance hit, same should be true for W98 I think. Oh btw get the folding monitor to see whats going on.

Check the News Dawg sticky in the forum for places to get things.
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 01-01-2002 at 12:40 PM.
    the Britgeezer

My Heat otherwise a smoke free home

huh... so the cl version doesnt slow the machine down? And this folding monitor... is that like that seti program that gives a small gui to the cl version? If that's it, I'll take that. I just like to see it happening... it gets me more involved.

huh... so the cl version doesnt slow the machine down? And this folding monitor... is that like that seti program that gives a small gui to the cl version? If that's it, I'll take that. I just like to see it happening... it gets me more involved.
    Yes.. Fold Monitor could be roughly equated to Setidriver. The only difference is Folding does not cache WUs. because of their short lifespan.. its kinda pointless.

where can i download this folding monitor?

Sorry I've forgotten

where can i download this folding monitor?
    OMG its true I can't remember and I did a search on Fold Monitor and it doesn't come up ..... somebody else help. Now you know why I fold................
    the Britgeezer

My Heat otherwise a smoke free home