Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: folding monitor

Question folding monitor

How do you configure folding monitor?..I feel like a dumbass..cause i still haven't figred it out in two days..lol..

Long

Not sure where you're getting stuck, so I'll give you a rundown of all the things I've done, and hopefully some of this will be helpful to you.

Please keep in mind that the Folding Monitor does not run the crunching of WU's for you, it just displays what's being logged in the FAHlog. If you wish to use the monitor, you will have to leave your DOS box FAH2Console-v217.exe running as well as having the Folding Monitor, in order for the Folding Monitor to work.

1. I Unzipped the foldmonitor-5.0.10-exe.zip file into it's own directory under my Folding@Home directory.

2. Once Unzipped, I just double-clicked on the foldmonitor.exe.

3. The first time foldmonitor.exe ran, it asked me for my client, so I clicked browse and found my FAH2Console-v217.exe file and double clicked on that. (Note: I already had the FAH2Console running when I did this -- don't know if that matters or not)

4. Then I just clicked okay through the rest of the popup windows. At this point, the Folding Monitor is up and running, and it is showing me my stats on the current WU being crunched.

5. In the Folding Tool Bar, under Options, I clicked on the Change Client Descriptions. Here, I replaced what was listed for Client name with the my team name. (This is not necessary to running the FM)

6. Again under Options, I clicked on the Add New Client because I have 3 systems running Folding on a network and wanted to be able to view their progress from my main system. When I clicked on Add New Client, FM told me it was going to open a browsing window so I could go find the new FAH2Console-217.exe file I wanted to monitor. I then browsed the networked and found the other FAH2 on another box and doubleclicked it. Once selected, FM asked me to give the new Client a name, so I gave it that computers name so I would know which system I was looking at. I repeated this process once more for my 3rd system.

7. Once all my clients were added, I was able to click the < > buttons on the bottom of the monitor to look at the different clients.

Hope this helped!

Main difference with Setiwatch or Seti driver, Foldmonitor doesn't start/stop the client.
    It only displays the logfile_xx in the "work" directory, and extracts infos from the wudata_xx.* to display % work done.

N of Monkee Junction, Southeastern North Carolina
    keep this REAL SIMPLE...
    already running console version and monitor [ seemed to need to be running sumthin b4 monitor was happy--

went into options\ change client description[s],
    and for MY client, simply typed

is this OK ? [ so far, or am I done - or have I done NOTHING ?]

edit;

inserted a name, and team 734 in client. cfg --
    will that do ?
    I'm not on the roster, yet .. should I be

have managed to screw up the log
    [ got a goofy - dont-know- nuthin icon when I changed name to ..exe -config -- got rid of " -config" and nice icon came back.. ]
    Last edited by SloNoMo; 01-05-2002 at 10:57 AM.

" All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing."-
    Edmund Burke

" Crunch Away! But, play nice .."
    --RagingSteveK's mom

---

Real slow

Originally posted by SloNoMo
    keep this REAL SIMPLE...
    already running console version and monitor [ seemed to need to be running sumthin b4 monitor was happy--

went into options\ change client description[s],
    and for MY client, simply typed

is this OK ? [ so far, or am I done - or have I done NOTHING ?]

edit;

inserted a name, and team 734 in client. cfg --
    will that do ?
    I'm not on the roster, yet .. should I be
    You Got it! .... When you made the edit to client.cfg you did the important bit. You will not show up in the stats until you complete the first WU ie. 100 frames.

Foldmonitor does NOTHING but monitor and cannot launch the folding prog.
    the Britgeezer

My Heat otherwise a smoke free home

so, I need to physically LAUNCH CL , monitor wont do it ??
    so now I have both moniotr AND FoldConsole.exe on my taskbar ...
    [ this better be good; SETI's been mothballed 'til I get a WU done --
    just as CapZap looks like he
    s finally gonna blow by
    -- my best SETI CRUNCHER is not patient-- needs to see results ]
    Last edited by SloNoMo; 01-05-2002 at 11:02 AM.

" All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing."-
    Edmund Burke

--RagingSteveK's mom

---

Step by step

so, I need to physically LAUNCH CL , monitor wont do it ??
    so now I have both moniotr AND FoldConsole.exe on my taskbar ...
    [ this better be good; SETI's been mothballed 'til I get a WU done --
    just as CapZap looks like he
    s finally gonna blow by
    -- my best SETI CRUNCHER is not patient-- needs to see results ]
    Launch CL YES, Monitor only if you want to because it does NOT do anything but monitor.

BTW Folding WU's are more difficult than Seti Wu's at least they take more time. They vary by =/- 2 - 4 hours, Villin is tough, when you get it going check your average frame rate and x 100 is how long it will take.

So if you don't like to clutter your task bar - only run Monitor when you want to check figs.

If you don't want to keep the DOS box open for CL .. run it as a service assuming W2K etc.

There is a neat way to run a service without playing with reg. www.firedaemon.com provides a free prog to set up folding as a service and then it automatically runs without being in the task bar, it even lets you define the priority of the service and define which CPU to use for dually's. Great article on how to use at Team egg roll www.teameggroll.com/fah_service.php
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 01-05-2002 at 11:21 AM.
    the Britgeezer

Unhappy

I'm doin villin !!!

[ times look crappy, b/c I had monitor crankin w/o the client working.. ?? or did it start over ?? dont know ..

but looks like it'll be less than 6 min / frame, and falling..
    long as I'm not on this machine -- 'cept, now I'm on this machine ]

I'm doin villin !!!

[ times look crappy, b/c I had monitor crankin w/o the client working.. ?? or did it start over ?? dont know ..

but looks like it'll be less than 6 min / frame, and falling..
    long as I'm not on this machine -- 'cept, now I'm on this machine ]

Yep, that's what happens to me. As long as the machine is idle, I have great times, but when I'm on it, my times go wayyyy down. And I've noticed, if I'm playing a game, the frames seem to get hung up at the end, like it takes forever for the next frame to load because I'm using my CPU too much. Oh well, ever little bit counts.

I'm only on this machine -- rarely, in fact b/c I wanna see it do stuff--
    My 1.2 does hiccups when I'm doin online stuff and playing CD's -- this sucker [ XP, K7S5A/SiS735 ] just cruises....

well, it was fun... I think I'll let it crank for a while--
    catch ya Later {Tigress}
    CapZap's gonna stomp me with this baby outa the Seti lineup....
    Last edited by SloNoMo; 01-05-2002 at 03:01 PM.

Edmund Burke

--RagingSteveK's mom

---

I'm only on this machine -- rarely, in fact b/c I wanna see it do stuff--
    My 1.2 does hiccups when I'nm doin online swtuff and plaing CD's -- this sucker [ XP, K7S5A/SiS735 ] just cruises....

well, it was fun... I think I'll let it crank for a while--
    catch ya Later {Tigress}
    CapZap's gonna stomp me with this baby outa the Seti lineup....
    And of course he'll rub it in with a comment about how he'll welcome you back into SETI whenever you decide to bring all your machines home where they belong, with open arms and bandaids.

Did I miss anything, Cap???

Maybe

CapZap's gonna stomp me with this baby outa the Seti lineup.... [/B]
    Maybe even the Cap will fold a few and give you a chance!
    the Britgeezer

Re: Maybe

Originally posted by britgeezer

Maybe even the Cap will fold a few and give you a chance!
    LOL, don't hold your breath on that one brit.

daughter's getting a new [ old ] machine -- all new but yesterday's processor, for her artsy-craftsy stuff-- not needing blazing speed..

just gonna hafta make it with strings attached... it runs SETI in the background... end of discusssion .. yeah right !!

daughter's getting a new [ old ] machine -- all new but yesterday's processor, for her artsy-craftsy stuff-- not needing blazing speed..

just gonna hafta make it with strings attached... it runs SETI in the background... end of discusssion .. yeah right !!
    Works for me.